• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

What About the Trak 2.0

Sorry, no direct experience. But have you seen this thread?

Sorry, no direct experience. But have you seen this thread?

I was going to post that link if you hadn't.

Reactions: AM
I have some experience in a Trak. What would you like to know? Do you have specific questions?

Mostly just wanted some general impressions, construction, handling

In all respects it is the next best thing to a hard shell sea kayak. It is perhaps the best if you need portability. I also own a Pakboats Quest 150 and they aren't even in the same class to compare.

However, there are certainly things I miss about my hard boats: Hatches and bulkheads, a skeg (though not as much as you'd think), no build/unbuild time.

In all respects it is the next best thing to a hard shell sea kayak. It is perhaps the best if you need portability. I also own a Pakboats Quest 150 and they aren't even in the same class to compare.

However, there are certainly things I miss about my hard boats: Hatches and bulkheads, a skeg (though not as much as you'd think), no build/unbuild time.
Thanks for your help9=

I have a 1st Gen TRAK. Not much to add to the discussion. I really don't have any any complaints about the on the water performance. It's the off-the-water stuff that I got tired of.

For anyone who buys a TRAK because they want to travel with their own boat (as opposed to renting when you get to wherever it is you're going): yes, it works and more power to you if you live that life. This post is not about you or your life choices. Also TRAK people: you're lovely people and you have carved a very nice niche in the paddling world. This post is not about you either.

For me, I found that putting it together and taking it apart is pretty rough on the boat. Ironically, if you do it often enough, you learn what your boat likes and doesn't like about the process. Sadly by then, you'll have possibly kinked some bits that you can't unkink. In the end I kept my boat put together and stored it that way, which kind of makes the whole point of having a folding boat moot. However, having it all put together did make it more likely for me to take the boat out paddling now and again.

The hydraulic jacks will not be happy when kept in extended mode in storage. Make sure you take the pressure off them when you are storing them. It doesn't matter what version of boat you have. Replacing them is about the same as buying 1/4 of your boat all over again.

Take care of your TRAK flotation bags. These are specific to your TRAK and though they can be replaced, you start asking yourself, "Is this really worth it?"

Last edited:
Holy smokes, I just finished reading through the whole TRAK 2.0 saga on Paddling.com. I can definitely understand why people are pissed if they've been waiting as long as they have for the 2.0. I find this all fascinating because I know of someone with a 2.0 who got theirs last year.

At any rate, I believe that TRAK is on the up and up, though they have not done themselves any favours by not being more transparent with their customers about how their production issues; prior to and after COVID-19 blew everyone's production lines to smithereens.

If you REALLY, REALLY want a TRAK 2.0 before June 2021 (or whenever they get shipped), you can probably find a 1.0 on Craigslist and buy upgraded parts from TRAK, because they apparently are stocking those. You could buy my 1.0 even, but then you'll definitely want upgraded parts.

Last edited:
Back