What do you wear on your feet?

cougarmeat

Paddler
I have socks with toes for my shoes with toes but … my toes were not the model for those socks. It takes a commitment to sit and work each toe - especially the little toe (which is more of a wish than an actual fit) - in its place. I’m guessing a style that just separates the big toe from the others would be easier.

All my neoprene booties are from NRS. I have a high top for general paddling, a below the ankle version that has a wider cut for more ease with drysuit latex bootie, and a light weight river/lake shoe. I tried some AquaTech type water draining (mesh) sport shoe but they were just too heavy and very difficult to clean the sand out of. Because of the extended toe/heel, they were more difficult to fit on the foot braces.

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
With mesh shoes (which I don't wear much) , I use neoprene socks over the drysuit socks to protect the drysuit. The mesh allows a lot of sand and fine pebbles to get in.

jamonte

Paddler
When paddlers talk about "dressing for immersion" they invariably mean one thing: dressing in clothing that will prevent hypothermia in the event of a swim. To me, "dressing for immersion" also means wearing clothing that will remain on your body when you swim and will not hinder your ability to swim or to perform a self or assisted rescue, or hinder your ability to hike for miles and miles through the wilderness in the event that you lose your boat. So no matter what footwear you choose to wear, it has to stay on your feet during a swim... even a violent swim through breaking surf or rapids. That is a non-negotiable criterion for kayaking footwear, IMO, and I have kicked people off my trips who showed up in sandals that won't stay on their feet. And it's not just sandals, neoprene mukluks also have a way of coming free during swims. And don't get me started about mukluks with crisscrossing laces... talk about an entrapment hazard! Blah, blah, blah... two coppers from a hardass.

chodups

Paddler
That is a non-negotiable criterion for kayaking footwear, IMO, and I have kicked people off my trips who showed up in sandals that won't stay on their feet. And it's not just sandals, neoprene mukluks also have a way of coming free during swims.
Totally agree! Can't tell you how many times friends who wear Tevas, Chachos or Keens come up beside their boat with their sandals needing their own rescue. All of those companies make good paddling shoes that stay on but folks tend to drift towards the more casual sandals that don't. Not my style.