• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

What is best knot for bungee in eyelid

cougarmeat

Paddler
Arrrrrgh - auto correct is not your friend. Before posting it did say Eye Pad.

Going to be adding some rigging to the kayak and wonder what knot you use with bungee to anchor it to the eye pad - or for loops/hitches with bungee in general? If it makes no difference I can pull from my static line repertoire.

:) Well the title did attract my attention! :)

For joining shock cord, I use a water knot or a grapevine knot if I want more bulk in the knot (to lift it off the deck).
For a loop I would use an overhand bend if I wanted to keep the knot away from the pad eye, or keep the loop open.
I've also used a slip knot a few times when I wanted to get the knot tight to the padeye or recessed deck fitting bar.
Hog rings also work OK, but they definitely need to be covered with heat shrink, and it can be a bit tricky to avoid having metal ends poking out. (You need the right size hog ring.) SS hog rings are available at fishing supply places - I think they re used to hold crab traps together??

Well, there's another [involved] approach [potentially aesthetically minimal] using the characteristics of the stretchy shock cord. When bungees get stretched out to their maximum [about 2x original length] their cross sectional area gets to be quite narrow - somewhere in the range of 1/2 area?
So if one does that locally [using double clamps say] to the two ends say before they are cut, they can be mushed together somewhat to assimilate the original size. One way is to then wrap them with kevlar strands taken from some scrap kevlar cloth laying around [ that's why one never throws out those precious kevlar scraps, heh heh] and then epoxied or CA'd the whipping.
Then release the tension and either 1) attempt to roll the sheathing back over for an invisible repair or 2) use the heat shrink over for an almost imperceptable difference in diametr.
The kevlar approach is one Ive used a few times in making sprayskirts - much nicer than hogrings I think.
Anyway, it also can be used to stop bungee frays: stretch out, lotsa CA on the sheath, let set, release tension, cut bungee at end of CA's sheath.

Cable ties, two per joining, reefed bull tight, also work. Being wholly retro and geekheaded, only those born before 1955 are likely to tolerate this method. The bigger the bungie, the better this method works. Couple sprayskirt bungies so are going on 15 seasons, intact.

Figure 8 knot at the end of the line to prevent it from pulling through the pad eye.

I use a lighter to melt the frayed ends past the knot.

Many of the knots talked about are to connect 2 pieces of bungee together - I would only do that if the bungee broke on a trip. When putting new bungee in, I use a continuous piece for an area.

I was looking for attaching to the eye pad (not eyelid) of the kayak. Looks like I know the GrapeVine knot as a double fisherman's knot/bend. My playing card deck that has knots mentioned the Angler's loop for bungee cords. The figure-8 might work as a stopper if the cord is thick enough relative to the eye pad opening. But I'd like the security of a formal loop/knot - especially if the cord is behind me where I can't see what's going on.

Figure 8 knot at the end of the line to prevent it from pulling through the pad eye.
That works well with some of the recessed deck fittings like the ones on the NDK boats.
For a standard padeye, I'd do the same as 'Designer' and tie a loop if necessary. Usually I try to make a cross-deck connection and avoid terminating the shock cord at the fitting, but that's not always possible.

that's a nice one, thanks.

ps - I didn't re-edit the thread title for designer because it's so catchy as it is. It reminds me of the time that Mick McRobb commented on something and I 'corrected' all his wonderful ways of spelling things - something I subsequently regretted as it was so personal to him and worked so well regardless.

>ps - I didn't re-edit the thread title for designer because it's so catchy as it is.

People are going to think I've gone "punk" with a kayak theme. Who needs a stainless bar piercing when I can use bungee.

What are friend for ... Scheeech. :) (It's cool - really).

The zeppelin bend looks simple enough, but again, it's for joining line instead of terminating at an end point. But all these "connecting" ideas are widening my imagination. Instead of ending the bungee at the eye pad, I can run the line smooth through the eyes and just connect the two ends together (GrapeVine/Fisherman's Bend) along the route. It might actually look a cleaner as the eye pad gets a little busy if there are two lines of bungee going through it plus a knot. And, as the bungee gets stretched out, it would be easier to re-tighten because that eye pad can get a little crowded.

I just have to accept a "knot in the middle" (instead of a knot at each eye pad end) as "the new black" and I'm fashionably good.

If you really want to get rid of the knot, use a short piece of hollow (tubular) webbing (1/2" or 3/4"), feed bungies in from opposite ends, and hand sew the middle of the webbing. The bungy or rope is held in place by great friction and the odd spot where the needle catches the outer bungy. However, this method does not allow for adjustment as the bungy loses it's elasticity. The attached picture shows polypro rope instead of bungy, no real difference.
I use 10 or 20 lb nylon thread (#69 & #138 respectively)

Attachments

• 20190727.jpg
    20190727.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Instead of ending the bungee at the eye pad, I can run the line smooth through the eyes and just connect the two ends together (GrapeVine/Fisherman's Bend) along the route.
Converted to this method a while back, for convenience and so the bungie is easier to grab onto when needed.

Back