What's the point? Stohlquist PFD!

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
Break time on a paddle today:
One of my friends took off his brand-new Stohlquist PFD and was examining the back carefully.
"What's wrong?"
"I feel something sharp in my back when I'm paddling. Look!"
Sticking out of the fabric on the side touching the paddler's back was a metal point (with blood).
Pushing on the foam, the shaft of a heavy-duty pin emerged.
Another friend grabbed it with pliers and a 2" T-pin was extracted!!
pin PFD.JPG

It's a dangerous world out there!!!
:eek:
Not made in Canada or the USA, but I guess it's just shoddy quality control and inspection....

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
What model was it?
I'm not sure.
Edge?? EDIT: Drifter
'The guy with the pliers' took some pics, but I don't have those.
EDIT: See next post.
Hopefully it's just a 'one in a thousand' (or less) thing, so probably not model-specific.
A loose pin in an untidy shop, caught in a piece of foam? Or an assembly pin that somebody didn't remove?

Last edited:
Reactions: CPS

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
Appreciate the comments! Funny! It's one of those incidents that is so bizarre that one very natural reaction is to laugh.
'Never in a million years would I have thought....' is the old expression that comes to mind.

The victim is a very mild-mannered person. If it were me, I'd be 'reaching out' in a big way to Stohlquist.

Reactions: CPS

JohnAbercrombie

Paddler
My concern was if he was wearing a drysuit - now a drysuit with pin holes; i.e. not a drysuit.
It was a warm day so neoprene shorts and a rashguard top under the PFD, so at least there's not a drysuit that needs an iron-on patch.

Reportedly, human skin is self-sealing. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mowog73

Paddler
Glad to hear that you friend is okay, no serious injury.

That is a surprising find. It would surprise me if QA/QC would catch something like that, they are looking for manufacturing flaws, but is something that just should not happen. I'd certainly reach out to Stohlquist, I'm sure they would want to know of such an incident, they don't want to see people harmed or injured. To me the true quality of a company is how they respond to an incident like this.