• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Whats your favorite lunch

dc9mm

Just curious everyone likes to eat for lunch. Some thing that doesn't require using a stove.

Mine is the tuna that comes in those plastic pouches at super market. I ad some yellow mustard and put into a pita roll.

Re: Whats your favorate lunch

Astoriadave said:
Bagel with cheddar cheese and salami. Note: avoid bagels without preservatives. They do not last long.

Cheddar cheese, does the cheese need to be kept cold? Any particular brand?
Just trying to come up with some other choices for lunch.

Lunches can be so hard to come up with. Make up some bannock the night before - real easy to do - and you can have some with your dinner and save some for lunch the next day with PB&J. Really good! Sometimes I will also hard boil some eggs the night before. I use salt water for that. Safeway has some flat breads that are very well sealed and last for awhile un-refrigerated until they are opened. Also wraps last a long time in the kayak until they are opened and PB&J on them is good. We are just heading out this weekend for a 7 day trip and I have bought some Babybell cheeses. They are in little servings and each housed in a protective wax. I bet they will last pretty good out there. They are good with some pepperoni sticks and a hand full of trial mix.

Lila

dc9,

Aged cheeses seem to survive better. On BC coastal waters if you pack cheese and other perishables against the hull, the cold water allows you to eat cheddar for at least a week. Not so sure about jack and other varieties which have not been aged.

Somebody mentioned flatbread, which reminds me we have had good survivability of corn tortillas, also. Tasty with grated cheddar. Also a good base for burritos, everything out of a can: olives, salsa, use your imagination.

dc9,
For years I've been using sharp cheddar, cheddar will soften after a few days. I use the 1 lb blocks with PB&J, peppered dry salami and flour tortillas dry bagged for a weeks supply. This year was a 3 week trip so it allows me to store the other weeks lunch supplies in the low cool spots of the boat and the lunch bag I'm eating from in the top of the hatch, makes easy access for the lunch stop of the day.
I do make it a point not to store my lunch bags in the sun when I'm drying everything else out. This year I added some Tillamook extra sharp cheddar and it was like just off the store shelf after 17 days on the water, so from now on it's extra sharp in my lunch bag.
One of my other paddling partners uses the tuna and chicken packs you use along with the small individually wrap cheese rounds described by LAM. Last year his Pita bread spoiled so we shared our flour tortillas with him. FYI, before I first used flour tortillas, I left a opened and resealed package on the microwave for a month, checking weekly, they didn't spoil and tasted fine, must have the same ingredients as Twinkies :shock:
Dave R

Ukrainian sausage, ementhal or Swiss cheese, and pita bread. Keeps for quite a few days and has lots of protein.

Hummus etc. dehydrated at home and crumbled into ziploc bags. Takes 2 minutes to rehydrate and you can make it as wet or dry as you like it.

Last trip we had navy bean and sun dried tomato hummus, greek roasted red pepper dip (makes like hummus), smoky lentil pate and protein power goddess bowl (lentils, quinoa, onion, garlic, bell pepper, tomato, spinach, lemon tahini dressing) which was great in a flour tortilla or straight from the bag.

"doesn't require using a stove."

I don't know if this qualifies or not, but I make great use of a 500 ml Thermos flask to have a hot lunch without using a stove. Typically the stove is out at breakfast at least for tea/coffee, so it's rather easy to heat a bit more water and throw it in the thermos along with some dehydrated soup, chili, stew, etc and have it reconstitute over the morning. By lunch it's ready for serving with no effort. Add some bread and cheese and you have a satisfying meal.

I know it adds about a pound more of kitchen gear to my kit but it's so worth it for me. And if I'm really organized I can wash out the thermos at lunch and start rehydrating something for the supper meal, even with cold water.

On day trips, my latest favorite thermos lunch is reheated chicken curry with some naan bread. Great way to finish off the leftovers from the Indian restaurant from previous night.

KP

I usually alternate between a tortilla with cheese and cut up onions or a tortilla with peanut butter. Love them both and don't get tired of either...followed by a candy or some type of bar.

Asiago cheese , burrito shell-the kind that come 8 to a pack in a resealable plastic cover,cherry tomatoes, pepper or sliced cabbage, mayo or mustard with a can of tuna or ham. I,m sure Asiago cheese and the mayo will last a month and the tomatoes , pepper and cabbage several weeks on a kayak trip.

Smoked salmon is our lunch staple.

pita bread, hummus, fruit bars, and homemade granola bars get rotated for lunches.

salami and hard cheese (or baby bells). Olli Salaminis are pretty good, bite sized and pre-bagged. Throw in some macadamia nuts as a snack as well.

The ever popular tuna packets in a pinch as well to mix up the days.

My snacks and lunches are fairly interchangeable. (meat and cheese with some nuts as well.) I live on a keto diet so I nix the bread and carbs.

Lunch is the hardest meal for me. I used to rely on just Balance "energy" bars. Once I met a guy who will have a high place in heaven. We were with a class/group of paddlers with the intended trip from Spencer Spit on Lopez to Jones Island. It was a long paddle (many beginners) to the south beach at Jones (San Juans) and when we got there, the beach was full of kayaks. So a couple of guides paddled around to the north side to take a look (later I learned it might have been faster to land on the beach and hike/run across the path bisecting the island to get to the north beach). During that time, we were exhausted and bobbing up and down in the sun. This "saint" discovered he had some cans of pre-made coffee and he shared them with the whole group - a few sips each. Soooo Good!

Lately I've been experimenting with Bagels - the Dave variety (preservatives) They come 6 to a sack which just about covers an outing. Two bags and I have something before initial launch and when I return to the car - or a few extra on route. I've been using cream cheese for topping. One tub does seem to last 6 to 8 days. I don't place it where it will cook in the sun, but I don't try to refrigerate it either. I've used the Strawberry flavor but find, after I'm out for a few days, that my taste buds are more sensitive and the artificial flavors get too strong. So maybe I'll stick with plain in the future.

I'd prefer an individual "pack" - the foil squeeze thing - instead carrying a full tub. You can get a bag of the individual servings at Costco, but there is more in the Costco bag than I would use before their expiration date. So I'll stick to the 6 - 8 oz tub for now.

One downside is part of paddling is supposed to be exercise and I always imagine myself coming back 5 lbs lighter and loaded with muscle. But I hardly loose any weight and I'm sure the calories of a cream cheese bagel doesn't help in the weight loss. On the other hand, I have plenty of energy to paddle and paddle and paddle. I suppose it's a good thing.

Back