• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Where did you Paddle - April 2015

VanIslePaddler

Paddler
Just another day at work... ;)

Started off the day teaching a rescue clinic... no photos...

But this shot is one of my guides getting back from an evening tour at the end of the day!

On Saturday I went to Center Hill Lake (Middle TN). I hadn't been there since I went camping there when I was in college, but it was as pretty as I remembered--much nicer than Percy Priest where I went last time. It's hillier there and also farther from Nashville so less crowded. It was a gorgeous day--low 70s, with a wind that was brisk at times, giving me something to fight against and something to go with (not as often as I'd have liked!) and also some decent waves. It's best when the motor boats come by and there are real waves for a few seconds. :)

This was my route--out and back. My put-in at Holmes Creek, and my lunch stop, are marked w/ red Xs. I make it to be about 10 miles total for the day. So that means that there is no WAY I went 20 miles at Percy Priest a few weeks ago, b/c it took me about the same amount of time. The PP legend must just be inaccurate!

CHL_4-11-15_zps0dheksnj.jpg

Putting in at Holmes Creek:

put-in_zpsmoggdqxx.jpg

Given that I got lost last time, I was really glad to see this when exiting Holmes Creek!

holmes_creek_zpsecewz9ni.jpg

Saw these cool cliffs.

cliff_zpsjgxzlt3m.jpg

Stopped at a beach for lunch.

lunch_zpsdvv7nfcz.jpg

lunch2_zpsdfvt67m5.jpg

The wind was pretty stiff by this time--I had what was almost a surf launch as a result when I left after lunch! :)

[shortyoutube]http://youtu.be/igaPJ32r_ao[/shortyoutube]

Back on the water, here are my "waves"! Not up to yours, but I was happy with anything.

[shortyoutube]http://youtu.be/9vCv7eH5vGI[/shortyoutube]

[NOTE: Why are my youtube links not working The tags seem right. ??]

I stopped for a snack and a pee break on the way back and found a huge flat rock in the sun, where I lay for a few minutes. Then I heard a noise behind me--I sat up and looked around--saw no one. Heard it again and looked down. Below my rock and about 5 feet back was a huge black snake heading my way at a leisurely pace. I had to admit that sunning on a hot rock WAS a snakey activity and, as the interloper, I cleared out fast! I'm sure he enjoyed telling all his buddies how he ran the stupid human off. I didn't get a pic as I was. . . um . . . moving too fast. ;-) I'm NOT afraid of snakes (I live on a farm, after all) but I have a healthy respect for them and generally subscribe to the "don't mess with them and they won't mess with you" school of thought.

Heading back in after a long and wonderful day. :)

coming_home_zpsbpivi8pm.jpg

I think I will do my first camping trip at Center Hill. There is a campsite on Davies Island, a little further on than I went--I could make it there in a day, spend the night, and come back. I'll need to do it soon as it will be too hot for me in a few months! There are many reasons why I'm really a PNW kinda girl, and the weather here is one of them. I can't stand it 95% of the time!

No clue on the youtube question. Terrific weather. Looks like the lake has a lot of potential, drawn down a bit right now. Beaches probably even more hospitable in a month or so? Looks like limestone geology, making for pebbly beaches, I expect.

Good luck with the snakes. Any moccasins around there?

[shortyoutube]http://youtu.be/igaPJ32r_ao[/shortyoutube]

[shortyoutube]http://youtu.be/9vCv7eH5vGI[/shortyoutube]

used shortyoutube & removed the s from https://

Astoriadave said:
No clue on the youtube question. Terrific weather. Looks like the lake has a lot of potential, drawn down a bit right now. Beaches probably even more hospitable in a month or so? Looks like limestone geology, making for pebbly beaches, I expect.

Good luck with the snakes. Any moccasins around there?
Ooooh, yes. Moccasins and rattlers and copperheads abound. I've never seen one at my place, despite living on a creek--they avoid areas of activity and I'm careful in the woods. This one COULD have been a moccasin but I think was just a black snake. I didn't hang around long enough to get a look at the head (which was obscured in the underbrush). :)

Thanks, nootka! Not sure why the S was in there--it was the link youtube gave me so it should have been the right one LOL.

After my paddling class that turned out to be a bust, I took a relatively short (6 miles??) trip at Percy Priest Lake (TN).

ppriest_4-18-15_zpslnuodm1m.jpg

Explored down a little inlet for a few minutes and then doubled back and headed for Raccoon Island, a little island behind Bear Island, on which there is a primitive campsite.

It was an overcast day but winds weren't very high.

DSCF4988_zpsfhae1xa3.jpg

I found the little campsite, which was very nice. I probably won't camp on this lake as it is very close to town and very crowded. But maybe in wintertime!

DSCF4987_zpsr7syrhqt.jpg

I stopped for lunch on the backside of Raccoon Island, where there were only large, pointy rocks, which I didn't want to drag my yak across, so I used my bowline to anchor it to a large rock, which worked well.

DSCF4990_zpsm8ba1ehb.jpg

Unfortunately, I left my beloved paddling gloves on the island and by the time I realized it I was 40 min away, so ordered new ones this a.m.

All in all, a good trip (the gloves aside!). :)

easter long weekend i decided to do a solo trip up to clayoquot arm. for those who dont know where this is its located on the far end of kennedy lake
some incredibly beautiful raw scenery out there i wish i had more than just 2 days to do this trip. heres some pics from that trip

I've always wanted to explore Kennedy Lake. Lovely shots. Where did you park?

Cheers,
Andrew

andrew at the end of kennedy lake approx 2km from the ucluelet/tofino junction there is a logging road to your right. if you follow it down about 13km it comes to the old clayoquot bridge where back in the early 90's was the big clayoquot antilogging protest. there is a small campground a boat launch and good spot to put in.

dave yes i was camped up clayoquot arm in these pics and that last pic is just something i came across at the end of the arm up by the clayoquot river not really sure if its natural or manmade or some kind of ancient tribal thing just thought it was kind of a cool picture.

Re: Kennedy Lake

Michael-
Thanks for that info and the lovely pics.
Is the campsite (in the pic) at the launch?
EDIT: Answer appeared as I typed!
Did you spot many likely campsites along the shore? (It looks quite steep-to in spots.)
Is the logging road passable in a car (VW Golf)?
I'm wondering about the possibilities for a few days' trip there...gotta dig out a top map.

michaelmrc said:
that last pic is just something i came across at the end of the arm up by the clayoquot river not really sure if its natural or manmade or some kind of ancient tribal thing just thought it was kind of a cool picture.
:D
It's the 'miracle of Photoshop' ?

hey john the campsite i stayed at was about 10km down clayoquot arm. not much for campsites until about 8km up then there are probably a half dozen decent sites or so. i drove my 05 honda accord with kayak on roof down the logging road no problems little slow with some of the pot holes but definitely doable. lol no photoshop on that last pic just posted it sideways if you look to the right you can see a little ripple in the water, just thought it was cool.

michaelmrc said:
hey john [ snip ] no photoshop on that last pic just posted it sideways if you look to the right you can see a little ripple in the water, just thought it was cool.
LOL. Man, you really nailed me with that one! I puzzled over the thing in the presented format, wondering how it got so symmetric. Rotating 90 degrees returned my world to normal. Thanks for the laugh, and especially the report. Often wondered what Kennedy would be like as a paddling destination, always on a hurry elsewhere.

Back