• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? August 2006

IanC

Paddler
Just came back from 5 glorious days in the Deer Group. On the second morning, we heard on the weather report that 2 kayaks had gone adrift off Stud Islets on the overnight high tide. The report went on to request assistance for 2 stranded kayakers, hoping for a ride back to the mainland. Luckily for these two (who appeared down at Ross later in the day), a sport fisherman retrieved and returned the kayaks after only a couple of hours. Some other miscellaneous gear was lost from the beach. The two guys were pretty sheepish - they thought they had pulled their boats up high enough.

The obvious lesson here is always check the tide predictions, examine the beach carefully for evidence of where high tide actually was previously, and tie up your boats!

I would post a Deer Group photo or two, but it doesn't seem to work very for me - any help?

Re: Where did you paddle? Aug 2006

IanC said:
The obvious lesson here is always check the tide predictions, examine the beach carefully for evidence of where high tide actually was previously, and tie up your boats!
http://community.webshots.com/photo.../74/67/2483874670047287939oNZpDj_th.jpg[/img]
Several years ago, one went adrift from the Ross Islets, and was retrieved across Imperial Eagle Channel adrift off Effingham in the Brokens.

I think those micro beaches in the Deers lead to this. I've had to stuff my boat in the brush there, a time or two!

You need to use the img tag to post a picture and you need to make sure it ends with a .jpg, .gif etc.

2483874670047287939oNZpDj_ph.jpg

Bunzen Lake

Hello everyone!

In August we bought some kayaks and so far we have had lots of fun, here are some pics from Bunzen Lake:

normal_DSC01089.JPG

normal_DSC01142.JPG

normal_DSC01108.JPG

Back