• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? JULY 07

Mark_Schilling said:
How are they usually harvested and prepared? I've heard they're quite tasty but I've never tried one before.

Ok, I asked my boss how he opens the sea urchins. He says that at the beach, he would wack it with something hard like rock to break the shell and pry it open with hands and scoop the roe, wash it in the clean sea water ( caution: watch carefully, DarrenM might be doing his business closer by than you want!!! :lol: )

Mark, I will show you what to do with it if you show me how to do kayak. :wink:

...I'm terribly missing the Canadian water :(

Thanks to cyber, Kasey, and rider for the compliments on the photos! I don't care where I paddle, I just want to get out there and do it...all I need is more time and more money.

Spare some change? ;-)

Nope...we're paddlers - we have no money only gear... :oops:

Talking to my sister up in Whitehorse tonight and they have paddled Chilkoot Lake - said there are so many bears there that you pee with one foot in your kayak and one one the beach! :shock:

I tread lightly, climbed in here and ate lunch in heaven today...
73_P1010959_1.jpg

South of Fintry on Okanagan Lake - the moss was 4-6" thick!

awesome pics and footage everyone! 8)

dan, did u stay in that one lake at lightning or did u portage to the other(s)?

i'm so excited.. goin' out tonite for the sunset paddle! :D and darnitall, forgot the camera at home!

made it out for Friday's sunset paddle! :D i'm so happy i finally got out in the waters around there.. thats the first time i got to see Siwash Rock up close and personal like that!! and the moon over the city! awesome!! :D and man, how i wished i had my camera... but, i guess in a way, its a good thing, cuz even tho this is embarrassing to say, but, its true).. i guess i kinda forgot how to get into the kayak and flipped it over right there at the beach!! haha!! :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: so... i was a little wet to start off.. hehe!! :oops: :lol:

anyhoo..thats my july paddle..(oh yeh, made it out to Widgeon on the July long weekend.. )
355_P1010005_1.jpg

355_DSC00140_1.jpg
355_P1010010_1.jpg

i have yet to make it to Granite Falls..

I paddled from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale around the outside of Bowen ,through Pasley islands and did a 2/3 circumnavigation of Keats. I was actually going to camp at the campsite on keats, but...call me a snob but that place is more like a park for kids to play in with a marina beside it. And it turned out much closer(2 miles or so) from the langdale terminal than i figured,so i just took the ferry back.
Highly recommend that route to anyone paddling Howe sound ! west coast of Bowen is very nice. The day started out with 1.5-3 ft chop as i crossed from horseshoe bay to Bowen coast, then as i got to the side that faces the strait,the waves increased to 4-5 ft but weren't breaking for the most part. After 2:30 or so things started calming down and by the time i rounded the last point and headed for Pasley islands the water was flat.
littlebayonwestcoastofbowen.jpg

Elahorestingonrockybeach.jpg

bigcrackintherockminicaveonbowen.jpg

littlewaterfallonwestcoastofbowen.jpg

Olmaha19262.jpg

Just got back into town this morning at 3:00AM after two weeks on BC's fabulous central coast. Would have been back sooner but the Tsawassen ferry terminal was closed for a bomb threat. Bummer. Reintroduction to society after wilderness travel is always tough for me but a bomb threat?
So today? Welcome back, Jon.

Ferried from Port Hardy to Klemtu.
Paddled up Tolmie Channel to Split Head against a spring ebb. Very much a river eddy-hopping experience against a current that couldn't be otherwise overcome.
Paddled through Meyers Passage to Laredo Sound.
Up Laredo Channel to a fabulous cultural site and back.
Navigate in a significant fog from Milne Island to Higgins Passage where the fog cleared, I searched for a Kayak Bill camp, ate fresh Ling Cod and camped in a Hobbit Forest.
Paddled through Higgins to Pidwell Reef for water and crossed Milbanke Sound where we camped at Kayak Bill’s camp at Dallas Island.
From Dallas Island we traveled outside Salal and Lady Douglas Islands to the Roar Islets where we unsuccessfully searched for a KB camp. Across Seaforth Channel to the Hieltsuk cabin at Gale Passage where we saw wolf, deer and otter, filtered water and sat out a serious rain.
Late the next day we caught the flood and ran the rapids into Gale Passage and struggled for a couple of hours to climb out the south side into Thompson Bay. With gale force winds predicted we retreated to the Hieltsuk cabin in Joassa Passage for the nigh where Joey, the resident mouse, targeted Greg by crapping in his cup w/o tipping it over (a delicate task) and bowl, running between his legs while he sat on the toilet, chewed through a dry bag to get at some Gorp, and ripped up a teabag. This mouse should be considered armed and dangerous. I can supply a picture of him if you are traveling that way.
From Joassa we crossed to the McMullin Group where the sea otter population is re-establishing itself.
We paddled outside McMullin on a breezy day when the swell, wind waves and boomers made looking west appear constantly uphill. Very loud and invigorating.
We paddled across Golby Passage to Goose and chose to take a committing, outside route down the west side of the group. Don’t ever believe anyone who tells you that the outside of Goose is all sand beaches covered with driftwood. Anyone who tells you that has never been there. Once outside you are taking the trip with sketchy retreats.
We watched an eagle hunting, finding and diving for a fish in water that was not a no-brainer. When he eventually went for it he went into the water where he remained for at least a minute. Finally he lifted off of a wave crest into the wind with a good sized fish in his talons.
Fabulous beaches at Goose Anchorage plus Kayak Bill’s “last” camp.
Crossing Queens Sound in the morning we were “visited” by a pair of Humpbacks who went out of their way to pass on each side of us as we rafted. Seven feet on one side and twenty feet on the other. A very deliberate and ultimately mind altering act. A rare experience for us.
Camped at Cultus with two days to make it back to Shearwater. Fished for salmon. Was given one and Dave caught another.

Met a group from France who had paddled from Telegraph Cove to Shearwater and another group comprised of North Vancouver paddlers and friends from Toronto. Nice folks, all.
Great July!!!

chodups said:
Just got back into town this morning at 3:00AM after two weeks on BC's fabulous central coast. Would have been back sooner but the Tsawassen ferry terminal was closed for a bomb threat. Bummer.

, the resident mouse, targeted Greg by crapping in his cup w/o tipping it over (a delicate task) and bowl, running between his legs while he sat on the toilet, chewed through a dry bag to get at some Gorp, and ripped up a teabag. This mouse should be considered armed and dangerous. I can supply a picture of him if you are traveling that way.

Welcome back Jon! Sounds like you had a blast :)
I think the mouse was hiding in your kayak :lol:
Supply the pic anyway, please!

I went to Blake Island ( mid Puget Sound), cheating paddling only 1 mile from ferry instead of 3miles of Puget Sound crossing :oops:

I did my first night paddling to see the beautiful moon rise. Glad I did, the water was so calm that I could see the bottom of the water even with only the moon light.

I was going to go Rich Passage, but my trip got cut short :x, My husband and nephew had to go back to Seattle early afternoon ( and they did not tell me in advance :evil:, We could have had another car :evil: :evil: ), so I was going to do my fun thing and paddle back to Seattle crossing the Sound by myself ( :shock: ), but the wind was coming late afternnon when I was going to do the return trip, so I joined them :cry: Oh well, that passage will be there next time I 'm there. Over all it was a great trip, and glad they liked camping on the beach.

July was good month for me :D

Central Coast

I have added a few of the trip photos here: http://community.webshots.com/user/chodups
Will add more as time allows.
We started in Klemtu and paddled north up Tolmie Channel to Meyers Passage.
Through Meyers to Laredo Sound and part way up Laredo Channel.
South to Higgins Passage and through Higgins to Milbanke Sound.
Crossing Milbanke we stayed at a Kayak Bill Camp on Dallas Island.
From Dallas we traveled south across Seaforth Channel through Gale Passage.
Leaving Thompson Bay we crossed to the McMullin Group and then crossed to Goose.
We paddled the outside of Goose rounding Duck and Gosling Islands stopping at Goose Anchorage. Kayak Bill's final camp can be found here. BTW....anyone who tells you that the whole west coast of Goose is sandy beaches full of driftwood has not paddled the outside. While sandy beaches exist in a bay near the north end and at the very south end of Goose proper the outside is otherwise rugged and reef strewn. With textured water this is a committing paddle.
Crossing Queens Sound for Cultus Sound we were visited by a pair of humpbacks. I took no photos of the visit but it was a very close (paddle length) encounter.
From Cultus up Sans Peur Passage to Hunter Channel and Lama Passage ending in Shearwater.
A fabulous trip with great company. As usual the times when you want a POV photo the most is when you can least afford to take your hands off your paddle so the eddy hopping against the 3 kt. ebb in Tolmie Channel, the day trip up Laredo Channel, the crossing of Higgins Passage to Pidwell Reef, negotiating the rapids of Gale Passage, working through the reefs and reflected waves on the outside of McMullin, the long slog against the wind and current outside of Goose, and close encounters of the whale kind got no coverage. Maybe Dave and Greg got some photos here (their Optios are waterproof).

Thanks to:
Ned and Nan from Sedro Wooley who know every campsite and what tide level it will survive plus every source of fresh water on the coast.
Keith Webb for taking the time to provide us detailed information on Kayak Bill and his haunts: (http://www.seakayakermag.com/2005/Oct05 ... illReq.htm)
John Kimintas for his advice on specific aspects of our route. (http://www.thewildcoast.ca/)
Visit his web site. Buy his books!

Jon

Wow Jon - great photos! Must have been a wonderful trip! What are "culturally altered trees"?
Kathy

Kathy,

The photo is pretty washed out but if you look at a couple of the cedar trees you can see where sections of the bark have been pulled off. The Kitasoo and Hieltsuk (probably all coastal bands) place a horizontal cut through the bark for about 1/5 or less of the circumference of the tree and strip the bark off in very long and narrowing sheets. I guess that it is used for weaving and I don't know what else. Marking territory maybe? Once you notice it you begin to see it in many places. It is still being practiced today. We saw some very old trees with very old scars. Some of the work was almost surgical in nature and some looked like learning experiences. Near Kayak Bill's camp on Dallas Island there was some relatively fresh work and it made me wonder if he had done it.

Speaking of Kayak Bill, there were trails on Dallas that he had put in that were amazing. He had carried planks and log sections into the forest to make boardwalks and steps through the forest. We followed one and came to fork. At the fork was a directional "sign" made of a stake with a plastic piece of flotsam on top and a pointer made of driftwood pointing each way. One of them led to his main source of water. We never did reach the end of the other trail but followed it for quite a distance before returning to camp. Many of the chunks of wood had to be carried in one-at-a-time and set before placing another piece. He had nothing but time, though. Ten months a year.

Jon

Ahhh! Thanks Jon! I guess you could also then include trees that were tied in a knot? A friend has showed me trees here in the Okanagan that have an abrupt bend in them and said this was caused by natives who would tie a knot in them when they were saplings. I can't remember if he said why...trail markers I think.

Makes me think of Native pictographs....funny how we revere those but if you think of it they are maybe just old examples of graffiti? :? Maybe it's the number of examples of graffiti today (or numbers of inukshuks as has been discussed) that make them unwanted....

Kathy

Back