• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? March 2008

sushiy

Paddler
We went to Deception Pass for training for eddyline crossing this weekend.
What a great place! I fell in love with this place all over again.
Wind was calm in the morning, but the swell and wind in Juan De Fuca created 3-4 feet standing wave terrain right down stream off the bridge.
We practiced peelout right under the bridge and go back to a cove to take a rest and wait for my turn to come. Between the spot to cross the edyyline and the cove, there these standing waves!! And those experienced guys were enjoying the ride, I was not allowed to ride those waves, but my boat just took me to those waves, ( head into the waves, though...). I really really wanted ride the wave, but I was told that I have to be OK at the beach to do that:evil:. Even so, it was a lot of fun to paddle in the waves like that.
I tried rolling in the 5knots, and made it :D :D Actually I felt it easier to do it in the current.
Back at Bowman Bay, found some surf was going 8). Just small enough for me to practice some surfing and bracing. I went over there and was soooo glad I had my helmet on.:shock:
I guess I played like no tomorrow, next morning, my whole body was achy and my throat was sore from screaming too much, I had to bail out :(

235__DP_March_1_044_1.jpg

I just came back from our winter holidays near Roosevelt Lake in Arizona. Did some paddling and camping there.

83_Copy_of_Greg_N13_1_1_3_1_1_1.jpg

83_Greg_N_Roosevelt_Lake_5_2_1_12_1_1_1.jpg

just got back from a FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTASTIC day playing in the current at Deception Pass, 6.1 knot ebb, bright sunshine, and an amazing sunset over the Olympic Mountains and San Juans = grin muscles getting a workout!

next stop - Cape Flattery for 5 star training next week! Will bring my camera along and snap some pics and hopefully video of the events (assuming I even have enough time during the epic 5 day training to even snap any!)

michael

mikec said:
next stop - Cape Flattery for 5 star training next week! Will bring my camera along and snap some pics and hopefully video of the events (assuming I even have enough time during the epic 5 day training to even snap any!)

michael

I'm Really jealous!
Weigh your boat before and after to see how much gelcoat Leon talks you into losing! Have a great time, looking forward to the pic's!
Dave R

Got out for an afternoon paddle with waverider at Crescent Beach today. Nothing too exciting, just floated about for the most part.

Here's a shot of waverider doing the famous "One handed, medium angle braced turn from the cockpit coaming with a wave to the camera". Eat your heart out, Derek Hutchinson:

7_IMG_9316post_1.jpg

Well I went to Kauai and paddled the wailua river in a sit-on-top. pretty cushy, but the scenery was pretty amazing and totally not what I expected. The tropical-ness disappears the further upstream you go until it ends up looking a bit like the serengeti.. I also managed to drown my poor camera, so all I've got is massive wide angle pics from a disposable. Sit on tops are much much easier to get in, but the hull speed is prety meager - especially with the double ended shovel I was paddling with. It starts making tons of ominous whooshing noises if you exceed about 6km/h.

2325925266_6315f4a62a.jpg

2325924124_803e06471d.jpg

2325922792_965f70a4e9.jpg

2325919718_791f4638ef.jpg

blogged below

-Rich

Nice Pics Richard.
Did you do any open water paddling?

MarkS wrote: Interesting shot - but I don't see much of a stern wake. You must be pretty skilled to get that much support from a paddle that has no water passing under it!

So... how deep is the water in that shot?

I was afraid of this, other paddlers being envy and/or jealous of my superior paddling skills 8) tsk tsk We all can't be the best you know.

The answer to your question Mark is 9 '' :lol:

I don't like to edit people's posts unnecessarily, so I'll just quote it instead. :twisted:

waverider said:
I was afraid of this, other paddlers being envy and/or jealous of my superior paddling skills 8) tsk tsk We all can't be the best you know.

The answer to your question Mark is 9 '' :lol:
:p :lol:

Geez, only nine inches? I thought it was a lot deeper than that. :D

Mick and I travelled to Nanaimo yesterday for a meeting about the proposed BC Marine Trails Network -- more to come on that later. After the meeting we paddled around Newcastle and Defender Islands in what turned out to be a terrific paddle in the company of three others who attended the meeting.

Definitely going to be looking forward to doing some more paddling in the Nanaimo area.

(sorry, no pictures due to a battery problem)

Paddled out of Deep Cove on Saturday with a co-worker and his wife. We stopped at Twin Islands for lunch, and foolishly thought the power station didn't look too far! When we got back the beach at DC, we agreed we had bit off a bit too much for our first paddle of the season...we were beat, but we survived. :D

The coffee after at Mario's went down real good. 8)

335_CIMG4774_1.jpg

335_CIMG4803_1.jpg

335_CIMG4814_1.jpg

Paddled around Darcy and Litle Darcy Islands on Wednesday.
86_P3190865_1.jpg

86_P3190840_1.jpg

86_P3190845_1.jpg

Used the mothership to get there from Port Sidney Marina. Yah. I know. We're too soft! :oops:
86_DSC05342_1.jpg

Raimo, we must have just missed you! Blondie and I and her sister, visiting from New Zealand, paddled out Friday around noon from Smuggler's Cove, across Baines Channel to the Chatham Islets. A chilly day on the water, but overall quite pleasant.

Today we were invited aboard a 33-foot sailing vessel where we made our way from Sidney, around Sidney Island (clockwise). I'm sure we saw your mother-ship, complete with the two kayaks on top, as we made our way back into Sidney-North Saanich marina this afternoon...

A couple of great days to be on the water!

Yes Mark, we definitly just missed each other. At noon we were just paddling between the Chatam Islands heading out to Discovery Island. We reached our comfort level off of Sea Bird Point when we hit the tide rip! Sorry, no pictures of that since both hands were required on the paddle!
Saturday we paddled around Portland Island.
86_P3220944_1.jpg

86_IMGP0165_1.jpg

Paddled from Deep Cove to Granite Falls and got my first bag night of the year. Had a strong headwind the entire way to the top and recorded my slowest time ever while soloing up the arm. Coming home today (leaving Granite Falls at the same time I left Deep Cove yesterday), I had a head wind all the way back too! It's that time of the year when the winds are changing. Overnight brought huge amounts of wind and rain -- but I was dry and warm. Awoke this morning to more rain and wind so there was no rush to get out of bed -- finally got on the water at about noon for a nice leisurely paddle back to Deep Cove.

7_IMG_9389_1.jpg

7_IMG_9402_1.jpg

7_IMG_9422_1.jpg

7_IMG_9431_1.jpg

7_IMG_9444_1.jpg

7_IMG_9452_1.jpg

Man that place looks fun, Dan. beautiful sights and the water looks crystal clear. Great pic of that light and the flatwater reflection below it.

I'm afraid I broke my camera in hawaii, so i don't have pics, but this weekend I went out every morning and did something local. Friday, I paddled cadboro bay down to Gonzales point. Saturday we tried to make it around Cadboro point, but the current was running full blast. Today we just puttered around in Thetis lake and the flattest water known to man. Got about 23km of paddling in total. Yipee!

I blogged it below. ;)

I was over paddling around Victoria this weekend too! Was at a seminar in Van on Tues-Thur. Stored my boat at Ecomarine - thanks so much to them! Had a great paddle with Dan in False Creek on Wed evening...used Dan's Coho and now need to add one of those to my gear!

Went to Victoria to visit my sister for Easter and we paddled Becher Bay on Good Friday - my first swells (little ones, I suppose!), 15 seals at once, eagles, swans, cormorants, lots of rocks to paddle between, a good look at a sea otter! Great day! We laughed - we were being so careful (me not being experienced at the coast and my sister not being experienced at all) I'm sure we're the only kayakers that paddle around floating seaweed just in case there's a rock under it!! :lol:

73_P1020527_1.jpg

73_P1020540_1.jpg

Eating seaweed (bought, not picked...) is a good thing if you're on a beach....
73_P1020568_1.jpg

73_P1020542_1.jpg

Saturday we spent on Salt Spring Island....this is from the Buddhist retreat, the most peaceful place on earth...looking down on Cowichan Bay.
73_P1020557_1.jpg

On Easter Sunday we paddled at the head of Finlayson Arm...steep mountainsides from the water, caught a small otter fighting with something behind a dock but never saw what the commotion was really about...pretty wet day but we were dressed for it and enjoyed it!

Saw a bear....
73_P1020561_1.jpg

73_P1020566_1.jpg

The two fellows and two dogs in this car on the Coq must have had an exciting ride....one lost a little blood but otherwise it was their lucky day!!
73_P1020570_3.jpg

Back