where to get curved needles for sewing on skins?

Doug

Paddler
Anyone know what places in or around Vancouver sell curved needles for sewing on a nylon skin? Or, what would be the name of said needle so that I can phone some places? I plan on using non-waxed dental floss but if anyone wants to suggest a different thread/material that's easily available that would be cool.

thanks!

DarenN

Paddler
i don't use curved upholstery type needles, but i use Morris' double piping seam.
i've got a bunch of different trypes of needles that i got in packages of assorted craft needles. try a craft store or hobby shop.

Daren.....

RoyN

Paddler
Try looking at your local marine chandlery. I purchased curved needles for finishing eye splices on double braid nylon line from West Marine or Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Found the needles in the sailing section.

kelly t

Paddler
Doug

I have used the curved ones from a package purchased at the Dollar Store. The package had two about 50-100 'regular-type' needles of varying sizes, and several curved ones, along with a few longer, and more stout straight ones. They are not the best quality, but got the skinning done. Either a Dollar store, or W-Mart will have them.

On the next kayak, I used the method Daren mentioned, after seeing his SOF. It works well.
I used the dental floss with no problems.

kelly t