• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Which digital camera to buy ???

Komatiq

Paddler
Help !! It's time I invested in a new digital camera and I was hoping you folks may have some input on a good 6 megapix camera.

I know little about digital's but have used 35mm for years.

The Canon S3 iS looks like it would be right for my needs and I also looked at a Sony DSCH2, anyone have any input on these? I'm leaning towards the Canon...... :wink:

Thanks in advance.

Komatiq

In compact units, the Olympus FE-130 is a good buy, with decent optics, at US$165 street price. It takes 5.1 MPx images, and is so small it fits easily inside a Pelican Microcase, for quick access while on the deck of a kayak. 3X optical zoom, and some capability for image stabilization.

I own a fancy Canon (the S1 IS; now superceded by the S2 IS), which stays home on paddle trips because it is so bulky and heavy. Canon makes an underwater case for this camera, but that only increases the bulk.

I really like a lightweight, compact camera for on-deck use.

Dan, Darren and myself all have the Canon S1 with the underwater case. While it is big it's a great setup for kayaking. Mark has the S2 but he's still waiting for them to make a case for it :p

Lately I've been using a Pentax Optio W10 which is 6MP, 3X optical zoom and waterproof to 1m for 30 minutes. Fits nicely into my PFD pocket. I often paddle with it just hanging from a lanyard around my neck. Olympus has a new waterproof 6MP camera on the market, as well.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the W10. There is no rangefinder which I initially didn't like but I'm used to it now. It has a very large LCD which can sometimes be hard to see in bright light although partially depressing the shutter release turns on the backlight and makes it much easier to see. It's easy to use one-handed. A downside is that it doesn't have image stabilzation like the Canon S1iS or my Panasonic FZ20 and, of course, the long zoom lens.

Astoriadave
I have a small waterproof that I take in the kayak. The idea was to find one with a bit of versatility for general photo stuff.

I looked at the Canon S3 iS, think it may an update of the S2 but not certain on that.

Dave_Barrie I followed the chat you all had on the cameras a few months back, hence my interest in a Canon.. :wink:

Kheyashunka good looking pic's, thanks for sharing them. Camera seemed to do a good job for you and I would look into it further if I was after a waterproof. Appreciate the input and the pic's.

Steve_Fairbairn, I hadn't really checked into the Pentax line but I'll give them a look to see what they have comparable to what the Canon offers. Thanks !

Komatiq said:
I looked at the Canon S3 iS, think it may an update of the S2 but not certain on that.

Yes, you're absolutely right. The S3 has many similar features to the S2. Imrovements are a 6MP CCD, upgraded from the S2's 5MP. It also has a slightly larger LCD. Many of the rest of the features are identical, as is the overall size and button placement, optical zoom (12x, 36mm - 432mm equivalent in 35mm SLR terms), etc. The S3 is black whereas the S1 and S2 are silver.

It's the size and button placement that leads me to believe that Canon will eventually release a waterproof housing that will accept both models. At least, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they do! :?

Thanks Mark. I posted the same question on another forum and had a reply from a fellow who had just purchased one after spending a lot of time trying out different models.

Looks like the Canon is the likely choice and a waterproof case would be a real bonus, hope they bring that out soon.... :wink:

I really like the Sony cybershot cameras. They have very long battery life and are easy to use. Sony also makes cheap (but quality) housings to fit most models of their cameras. In my work as a marine biologist I have seen these housings take many hours of abuse and use by scuba divers, so they would be perfect for a kayaker.

Also, there is a underwater photographers listserve where you can get as much info as you could ever want.

Thanks for all the helpful input folks, I picked up a new S3 today and will add some comments here later...... after I've played with it a little. :wink:

funny im in the same boat ive been looking at the cybershots and the canon s3 but ive decided to go with a cyber shot the dilema is the 6 mp dsc -h2 for $479.98 or the 7.2 mp dsc-h5b for $599.98. They both have the 12x optical zoom. Trying to decide if the 3" lcd over a 2" and the extra 1.2 mp is worth the extra $120.00. To me the big lcd screen is a liability in a way (makes a big target). Also the dsc-h2 is an impressive camera however the dsc-h5b is insane. Cant decide im on the fence.

Astoriadave said:
I own a fancy Canon (the S1 IS; now superceded by the S2 IS), which stays home on paddle trips because it is so bulky and heavy. Canon makes an underwater case for this camera, but that only increases the bulk.

I really like a lightweight, compact camera for on-deck use.

My S2 iS is currently in for repairs so I've been using my daughter's Canon A430 (4M and 4XZoom). Now I'm torn. On the one hand, I miss the 12XZoom and the quality I get with my S2 iS, but, on the other, I'm learning to LOVE the handy convenience of the more compact A430 (at only $199, I'll not cry nearly as much if it were to ever drown).

I do quite a it of sports (soccer, hockey, etc) photography, and in that regard, the S2 iS and its continuous fire mode, combined with the zoom, is superb

I ended up with the sony cybershot h2 with a 2gb memory card and it takes fantastic pictures however learning how to use all the functions is a full time job. The only real drawback is its as big as a camcorder.

Still in the midst of learning the functions and abilities of the S3 but so far I would have to give it a "thumbs way up".

I never intended it to be a deck camera so the size isn't a drawback for me,.... if anything it is a bit small for my oversized paws. :lol:

My last digital was a 1st generation Sony Mavica that used floppies to store the images. Figured I could donate it to a museum one day soon.

well guys, thanks for your input on the S2 and 3. i just found this:http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10059944&catid=10129&logon=&langid=EN# and thought i will give it a shot :D even if it's not the newest model, it will be still a big improvement from what i'm using right now : http://www.artecdesign.ee/~jan/Kaamerad ... index.html

can't wait to try it out!

cheers
andreas

Andreas, you can't go wrong with the S1 IS for $250! It's a great deal on a great camera, AND you can get a waterproof housing for it. :D

Dan_Millsip said:
Andreas, you can't go wrong with the S1 IS for $250! It's a great deal on a great camera, AND you can get a waterproof housing for it. :D
Hell of a deal. I think I paid US$250 for mine. And, I love it. Best, most versatile camera I have ever owned. Really appreciate being able to run it in either aperature- or speed-preferred mode. Makes it easy to control depth of field. And, the IS makes it the equivalent of a 5 MPx unit, at least.

Back