• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Who would be interested in this type of kayak?

gl1800turbotech

Paddler
Who would be interested in this type of kayak

I’m building a purpose built carbon fiber kayak, and would also like to make it available to the general public. The main reason I'm doing this is because what I want is not on the market so I thought I would share my plan and see who ells might have an interest in such a kayak,
So you don’t think I’m just blowing smoke take a look at my web site. I am the founder of http://www.Futurevehicletechnologies.com and the inventor of the eVaro hybrid car

Here are some of its features and options

First off its 10.5 ft and 30” wide. with a light “V” bottom for easy tracking and stability.

The reason for its size is that I want to use it in lakes and back waters for fishing and photography were extra length is not necessary, the other and most important reason for its size and choice of building materials are that I plan on towing two of them one on top of the other behind my motorcycle. With out options listed below, each boat will weigh about 26 lbs

Another addition to this Kayak is it has two large sealed compartments for storage, one in the front and one in the rear, this doubles as extra storage on my motorcycle for more camping gear etc. on long trips, it also allows more room for things and stuff that I may want to bring one a lake trip.

There are some other unique options as will
It will have a large viewing window between your knees, and for those who like to fish and want a trolling motor, I have designed an internal electric jet thruster that will deliver 55lbs of thrust, it has a 4” 6 bladed prop and is completely inside the kayak to prevent snagging on branches, weeds and shallow bottoms, its as quiet as any electric trolling motor, it will be variable speed with a top speed near 7 knots, it is powered by a lithium battery which is mounted thru out the forward hull in a way that you don’t even know its there, there is enough power to go better then 50 kilometers on one charge and is easily charged from your 12 volt car power, this drive system is small and hardly takes any room from your large rear storage compartment,

There is one more option for those who truly are adventures, those who love to see what’s under water will really appreciate night cursing with a powerful LED underwater light that is flush mounted into the bottom of the boat just behind the viewing window, if you have no idea what this can do take a look on Google, click on images and search for underwater boat lights and you will be amazed at the beauty you can see when cruising shallow clear waters during the dark,
Every thing I just mentioned will be custom so you can have it all or just what ever suits you fancy.

What I’m looking for is to see how many people would have an interest in this type of kayak with or without any options; you could call this a survey of sorts

Thanks

Re: Who would be interested in this type of kayak

So basically what you're talking about is building a carbon fiber version of a Seaward Intrigue that's already been on the market for a few years,but with a battery unit that'll make it too heavy for most people in it's target demographic to carry.
And sans window, there's also a thermoformed Lightspeed Enigma, and any number of plastic rec boats....
If I was going to get a kayak to bring along on a motorcycle tour,I'd just get a high quality inflatable.

rider said:
So basically what you're talking about is building a carbon fiber version of a Seaward Intrigue that's already been on the market for a few years,but with a battery unit that'll make it too heavy for most people in it's target demographic to carry.
And sans window, there's also a thermoformed Lightspeed Enigma, and any number of plastic rec boats....
If I was going to get a kayak to bring along on a motorcycle tour,I'd just get a high quality inflatable.

Thanks Rider
I like the Seaward Intrigue however I wouldn’t be interested in it for a number of reasons, it has no front watertight storage and the rear storage is to small, also the hull has far to much sweep to offer the stability and load caring ability that I’m looking for plus I do not want any thermoformed boat, another thing about the Seaward Intrigue from what a sales person told me it has a non replicable window that can become a problem and it takes up to much of the flour were you need to step while getting in or out, also there are no electric jet powered kayaks on the market and dropping an electric trolling motor under any kayak presents many other problems, I have seen thermoformed boats change shape in the sun while tied to the roof of a car, thermoformed boats are a “you get what you pay for” thing and they are far from the quality I am looking for, the total weight of my boat with all the options will be 57 lbs +/- I have a ten foot rotomolded kayak and empty it’s about 45 lbs while a vacuum formed boat comes in a bit less so the weight deferent’s between my fully loaded kayak and a plastic one will be insignificant, and as little as 24-26lbs give or take without all the options, the other thing about plastic boats is you can’t change anything about them because you can’t stick or plastic weld to the hull effectively so for what I want it leaves me no choice but to make my own which is a bit of fun anyway,
I’m not by any stretch of the imagination going to just go buy something I don’t like just because its already for sale, if I cant find what I want I simply make my own just like I did with the car
As for a high quality inflatable!!?, never in a thousand years would I buy one of those, they are a slug in the water plus theres my point about towing it as a boat/cargo trailer behind my bike which means items have to be secure (locked away from thieves) and water tight,
I have been looking for years for the right boat but there just is nothing on the market any where that will work for me so I'm just going to make it my self,
the plug is all done and I'm starting the mold lay up today

Sounds cool. While most on this website are into human-powered sea kayaking, I think it would really appeal to those who want to fish from a kayak.

I just spent the better part of an hour looking at your car website -- awesome stuff! I wish you and your team much luck and success with it.

Please post some photos of your kayak build in our building forum -- I'm sure that there are quite a few who would be interested in watching your progress.

No offense, but sounds like while you're enthusiastic about design and fabrication, you simply aren't very familiar with paddling. Someone that thinks thermoformed boats aren't high quality enough for small lake cruising, and that something like the Intrigue doesn't have the stability you're after.....I think you're missing the point of it all.

Interesting website. When is the IPO?

My first thought when I saw the words 'internal electric jet thruster' was New Zealand jetboats, used to drive tourists up shallow picturesque glacier fed streams, could really use a much quieter engine.

One of the kicks of kayaking is that its human powered. I wouldn't be interested to own one powered by any kind of motor.

You know, at 57 pounds, your boat is going to weight as much as a full-sized fiberglass sea kayak,or as much as a 14-15 foot plastic kayak.
Towing a 10.5 ft long kayak,plus the tongue length, on a motorcycle trailer would not be my idea of fun,though if you do ride a turbocharged Goldwing as your name implies,it'll have the power to pull it easily.Goldwings have a reverse gear,right? Which would make the whole thing sort of manageable when parking.
If you're aiming for a sizeable front compartment in a 10 ft kayak, the ONLY way to achieve that is to put a lot of volume/width into the bow and make it very blunt,which will plow water severely. I'll guess the result may actually turn out to be as much,or more of a slug than a decent inflatable.
There's a reason you don't see front compartments in boats that short.
Or,you can build a nice motorcycle trailer that can house a pair of inflatables. And as a bonus,it'll end up something people will appreciate, as opposed to a high tech kayak for lilly dipping that seems like misplaced creativity to most.
Also, about lights for the window in the hull, a high powered diving flashlight will probably work better.
Hey,with your expertise, why not build a mini submersible?

ken_vandeburgt said:
Interesting website. When is the IPO?

My first thought when I saw the words 'internal electric jet thruster' was New Zealand jetboats, used to drive tourists up shallow picturesque glacier fed streams, could really use a much quieter engine.

One of the kicks of kayaking is that its human powered. I wouldn't be interested to own one powered by any kind of motor.

I know what you mean, the inboard electric drive idea was only to combat the problems associated with trolling motors on small craft, this idea is not meant to replace the paddling as I myself really enjoy that part of kayaking, the electric drive is also an option that includes an entirely different hull, however there seams to be more then a few people who want power even if its only an assist or for trolling,

rider said:
You know, at 57 pounds, your boat is going to weight as much as a full-sized fiberglass sea kayak,or as much as a 14-15 foot plastic kayak.
Towing a 10.5 ft long kayak,plus the tongue length, on a motorcycle trailer would not be my idea of fun,though if you do ride a turbocharged Goldwing as your name implies,it'll have the power to pull it easily.Goldwings have a reverse gear,right? Which would make the whole thing sort of manageable when parking.
If you're aiming for a sizeable front compartment in a 10 ft kayak, the ONLY way to achieve that is to put a lot of volume/width into the bow and make it very blunt,which will plow water severely. I'll guess the result may actually turn out to be as much,or more of a slug than a decent inflatable.
There's a reason you don't see front compartments in boats that short.
Or,you can build a nice motorcycle trailer that can house a pair of inflatables. And as a bonus,it'll end up something people will appreciate, as opposed to a high tech kayak for lilly dipping that seems like misplaced creativity to most.
Also, about lights for the window in the hull, a high powered diving flashlight will probably work better.
Hey,with your expertise, why not build a mini submersible?

When I blogged that I was going to turbo charge my 2006 gl1800 people from around the world told me it cant be done for a number of supposed carefully thought out reasons, they soon changed there tune when I showed them the pictures, I see your one of those guys who wont believe till you see it LOL so hang in there and I will send you the pictures and believe me you wont believe this till you see it, and by the way no it dose not have a blunt nose in fact its actually more streamlined then many plastic kayaks

check this out, more then a few hundred people posted this would be impossible
I now have over 50,000 k on the turbo kit with no problems
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gMB04-nMiY

rider said:
No offense, but sounds like while you're enthusiastic about design and fabrication, you simply aren't very familiar with paddling. Someone that thinks thermoformed boats aren't high quality enough for small lake cruising, and that something like the Intrigue doesn't have the stability you're after.....I think you're missing the point of it all.

Rider I'm not missing the point at all I simply just don’t like what I see and as I mentioned I’m not buying something I don’t like, I have the capability to make exactly what I want and would love to share it with others who also like some of my ideas, nothing more to say,

Dan_Millsip said:
Sounds cool. While most on this website are into human-powered sea kayaking, I think it would really appeal to those who want to fish from a kayak.

I just spent the better part of an hour looking at your car website -- awesome stuff! I wish you and your team much luck and success with it.

Please post some photos of your kayak build in our building forum -- I'm sure that there are quite a few who would be interested in watching your progress.

Thanks Dan
I will post some in a while or if you send a PM with an e-mail address I will send you some videos, thanks for your encouragement with the car,

gl1800turbotech said:

I’m building a purpose built carbon fiber kayak,

Nope, you are building an electric boat.. I'm not saying it won't be cool :cool .. but it is not a kayak...kayaks are propelled
by an integrated propulsion/navigation system that farts and burps.. :p

I probably wouldn't buy one.

Kheyashunka said:
gl1800turbotech said:

I’m building a purpose built carbon fiber kayak,

Nope, you are building an electric boat.. I'm not saying it won't be cool :cool .. but it is not a kayak...kayaks are propelled
by an integrated propulsion/navigation system that farts and burps.. :p

I probably wouldn't buy one.
OK guys for those of you who keep missing the message, I have repeatedly stated the electric drive is only an option, You know!!!! its one of those things you only get if you want it!!!!!, This is a kayak like every other kayak and for you guys once more that means yesssss you will be paddling it like any other kayak, the option of an electric drive means probably over 90% of these will be an empty shell like any other kayak, so for you die hard paddlers the word option means all the goodies I mentioned are available only by custom order
Hope this clears up the misunderstanding :?

gl1800turbotech,

The electric drive is a very interesting concept, although perhaps not to most folks here. I paddled with a guy one day who has Parkinson's disease, whose condition is far enough along that he had fabricated a system to pull his boat along using a trolling motor off the bow, driven from a large lead-acid battery in the rear compartment. He did his own stroking until fatigue took over, then plopped the drive head down into the water and kept on going. It was quite powerful, and could tow one or two others, at a pretty good clip, perhaps approaching 2.5 to 3.0 knots. It was quite an impressive job, but nowhere as elegant as what you are working on.

I expect there is a market out there for folks like my buddy Thom (and me, as I age! :D ), so keep at it. I supect a little bump here and then, with a link to new developments off your web site might be a good way to keep those interested abreast of things.

Good luck with it.

To gl1800turbotech;

I actually thinks it's a neat idea. If you're looking for a strictly "business" case to build your boat and develop the options you propose, my sense is you are talking to the wrong group of kayakers. I have never really looked into the market for short boats, I'm much more interested in touring than lake paddling & photography. As a result I don't know that your design isn't already served by a similar range of products. Having said that, it's the money that talks, so to speak. If you can bring a f/g or c/f short touring boat to market for significantly less than the larger manufacturers, I don't doubt that you will sell them. Having an optional integrated electric trolling motor with none of the disadvantages of the typical hanging system would be an excellent innovation. From reading the series of previous posts you should be getting the sense that a significant component of THIS paddling forum is more interested in self propulsion, and your other features (bulk heads, sealed compartments, tracking, stability) are already well served by the existing products. Good luck.

Don't stop working on the X-car. That is a far larger market and something that I would be much more likely to purchase in the future. It also has more potential to have a real impact on society than a short kayak with a replaceable window in the hull and electric drive.

See you on the water.

gl1800turbotech,

You seem like a fun guy and someone who is very talented, plus super intelligent... You have already spoken of the nay sayers you have dealt with in the past and how you have proven them wrong... I personally like new innovation and would like to see what you come up with.. Would it be for me?.. *Shrug*... I might I want to have a motor in my wife's boat so she could rest and keep up..

It's about having fun.. Plain and Simple.. Your boat and ideas might open up opportunities for people who have yet to experience such things.. As Dave said, giving the ability for someone with age ( young or old) or disability the prospect of still coming along.. Or even for the uses you intend for yourself... If it helps even one person experience a great time.. Sweet..

The biggest fear I see from people on this forum is if you built a motor that worked and it was a hit.. The areas for sea kayaking might be even more full and with the possible issue of people with a motorized craft being in the mix.. I think that would drive most here crazy... Who says everyone needs to experience it the same way? Not me..

Keep on trucking and good luck with your other ventures as well....

Greg

KayDubbya, glcwhistler, drahcir, Astoriadave

Thank you for your feed back, and links, you all have good points, I did however think most of any market for this sized boat would be more south east or in the Ontario and Michigan areas and even knowing most kayakers on the west coast are primarily open water folks I thought it was worth a try to see what feed back I could get, I agree this may not be the best site to post in but there’s always good info even if not over whelming and I thank you all for your thoughts, I took up this challenge because I love a challenge and every thing I ever design and build I make it so it can be replicated, I don’t have plans to go into full-blown production unless there is a real demand and at that point I have a kayak company only 5 min from my place that will gladly take on the manufacturing and shipping of this craft, they have been building open water kayaks for years and most of you I’m sure know of them as they have a good name,, my car company is my full time occupation but it allows me the time and ability to play on the side with new ideas, I am essentially the R&D department so if there’s ever anything any one needs that you can’t find on the market, or its an idea and doesn’t exist, I can help you make it become a reality, let me know and I can most likely build it for you or help you find something that works, my favorite saying is

When “impossible” means your just not trying hard enough. :)

Interesting stuff that you are doing - good luck on it all.
It most likely doesn't strike an immediate bell with most of us here as we are interested in self controlled power - but nonetheless there are intriguiging aspects. The basic kayak is probably not a big deal one way or another as it's size puts it into a recreation type category, whereas many here are into paddling related performance of various types (touring, play, day).
However, one of the most attractive features of kayaking is the intimacy of contact with the water and also the land's edge with the water. So anything that will bring or keep a wider group experiencing that will be helpful. So an efficient motor that can be used by those with lesser or lessening ability but in a familiar and maneuverable craft, could be attractive. Especially one that doesn't get knocked by rocks and other features that a propellor could get damaged by.

As an aside, I have often wondered if the small electric bilge pumps that some of us use, could be connected to a jet, that then combines both functions of evacuation and propulsion.
Others have also attached motors to the end of kayak rudders so that retraction and maneuvering is possible with one assembly, so controllability would obviously have to be considered.

As another aside, as others have expressed the notion of self controllability, it would be interesting to consider a hand held wired 'pole' that had an impeller at ea end so that paddling would not be required but it would just have to be held in the correct orientation for all paddling, bracing, steering, and rolling, heh heh. 'The Wand' for 'westcoastwanderers' heh heh.

I must say though, that as one who has spent a considerable portion of my paddling at night, that having bright lights under my kayak would be totally contradictory to that experience. (It would be certainly cool to do it here and there to see what was going on underneath, but I would not intentionally do it (or want it on my paddling partners yaks) as a built-in unit) Might be ok for safety too, just before the collision.

Back