Wood source in Florida?

gatorkiter

Anyone know of a source for cedar in Florida? I found a few places here that say they can order it but I'd like to see the wood before ordering it since when I ask them if it's clear-grained I get answers like, "I think so, but depends on the supplier." I've tried places like Boatbuilder Central & Maritime Wood, but they only have plywood and teak.

DavidDeWitt

I don‘t know where you are in Florida but in Tampa there is a firm called rugby abp (rugbyabp.com). I do not know what wood they stock at that location but at the Boston location (technically in Stoughton, MA) they stock a really superb selection of western red cedar.

That said, in Boston at least their stacks are still closed due to Covid even though our covid outbreak is well under control. No clue why.

There is another Boston store, Boulter Plywood (boulterplywood.com), that stocks lots of marine plywood and western red cedar. My understand is that they will ship across the country. I recently bought cedar for a tandem that I building (Vember from cnckayaks.com) and their selection of WRC was superb.

gatorkiter

Thanks David! I see from their Tampa catalog they have cedar CVG. I'm going to call them Monday morning.