'Worst SUP tragedy in sport's history' - 4 die, 1 charged with manslaughter

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
Paddleboarding incident in Wales a few days ago, 9 boarders, in a river, in flood conditions, at a weir, as a sudden deluge happened.
Story here:
video of scene:

It might be that some/one of the victims was from a/the organizing group as well. Bad judgement organizing during flood conditions, but are paddleboard/organizers to be expected to understand problems with weirs in usually benign rivers with an additional 'sudden downpour'? Or is it overcharging for some sort of consolation?

Or should the city be charged for placing such a dangerously designed event in the river?
CleddauWier2notes.jpg

Mac50L

Paddler
So what actually happened?
Will there be a report actually saying what and how things happened?
After about a dozen pages there is mention that a few fell in the water which was in flood. A totally emotionally written bit of writing with little information.

Were they wearing PDFs?
Why did they paddle when it appears everyone else had decided not to?
How much should be left to each person to decide what they will do?
They didn't, it appears, pay to go so what responsibility does the person who suggested going have?

This last question relates to any club activity where something happens due to poor judgement.
Our Network has on its Home web page, "You are ultimately responsible for your own safety. If conditions are such that you are not willing to paddle solo, be prepared to not go, or to turn back. Always let those paddling with you know your decision."
Does that "protect" organisers of a trip?

Natasha

Paddler
I am also confused about what activity they were doing. The linked daily mail article references the activity as 'paddle boarding' but all the photos show people with surfboards in wetsuits with no PFDs or paddles. Initially I had assumed stand-up paddle boarding, but reading the article makes me question that assumption.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
Those two stories seem to cover it best, but it is odd that this incident happened over a week ago and there are still basic questions.
Most of the latter pictures are of a memorial to the victims which happened in the sea with many surfboarders as well. One of the victims was also a surfer and possibly one of the organizers - altho' it is hard to discern how he happened to be present to jump into the water as well - or was he part of the original group.
And if they were wearing pfds, that'd be even worse as they'd just recirculate to death - see where all the upstream arrows point.

And if it was organized by a club or outfit, at the very most you'd expect that to be charged, not an individual - I guess it depends on the locale. But really, my take is that if anyone should be held to account it should be whoever put in and continued to benignly approve that weir configuration.

Mac50L

Paddler
What is the matter with the weir configuration... as a weir. What is it for? To dam and reduce flow rate? If so what does it matter if it does the job? It wasn't designed for recreation, it was designed for water control. If people are silly enough to jump in in flood conditions that would be like walking across the M1 at peak traffic hour.

If wearing PFDs and circulating, heads above water, throw them a line and pull them out. Simple... isn't it?

Basically it seems to be the wrong craft in the wrong place with lack of skill and appreciation of conditions.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
To support your point, it sounds like a sudden flow event; to contradict it, most of the users got into major difficulty at a human intervention that was so 'simple' that 50% died.

Design with blinders, no signage, no consideration for other major types of users, no consideration for safety.

drahcir

Paddler
I suspect the weir was designed and build a hundred years before paddle boarders were thought of. Designed for water flow control.
In the same vein, cats don't do well in wash machines. And I don't mean to trivialize the event, but the design and usage should align reasonably well.