• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Wrist gaskets - how long do they last?

greg0rn

Paddler
I just ordered a paddling Kokatat paddling jacket with wrist gaskets. Three questions:

- how many ins and outs I have before they start tearing appart?

- are there any preventitive measures I should take to prolong their life, like lubrication before using, etc?

- How expensive it is to replace them?

Thanks for solving my dilema on gaskets.

Thanks for solving my dilema on gaskets.
- how many ins and outs I have before they start tearing appart?
Depending on how you care for them.

- are there any preventitive measures I should take to prolong their life, like lubrication before using, etc?
Use 303 regularly on the gaskets. Keep the jacket in a dry, cool place, pout of the sun.

- How expensive it is to replace them?
Depending on where you take it, I think about $50.00.

The best place is to send it in to Kokatat.
They check for overall leaks, and repair them. If there is a problem with the jacket, they will normally replace it.
Kakatat has a good website with care and handling instructions.

gregn said:
Aside from lubing with 303 every time you use it (and every month or so of storage), keep any and all petroleum products, silicones, body oils, and suntan oils off the latex. The latex will depolymerize and turn to intractable goo. Eventually, it will do this on its own (usually 3-4 seasons of use, for me), but those goodies above will hasten the rise of the goo! :wink: :lol:

Re: 303 for gaskets

ve7ggj said:
What is 303 and where do I get it?
Google 303 and you'll find their site. It is a non-petroleum, non-silicone protectorant that is OK on latex. Should be at paddleshops, or the main 303 site should list a dealer.

Avoid Armoral, supposed to have silicones in it.

Back