Yakima Boat Loader

Dave_Barrie

Paddler
Has anyone got one....certainly looks like a good solution for loading your boat on your own when rollers aren't an option.

Half-Canadian

CuriousGeorge said:
Has anyone got one....certainly looks like a good solution for loading your boat on your own when rollers aren't an option.
I use one of these to load my two yaks onto the roof of my Explorer by myself. Even though I have a rear set of rollers I'm too short to set the bow up high enough to rear load the boats without taking paint off the car.

I was concerned at first that someone might steal the thing -- it's not lockable -- but it's been on the rack for two years just fine.

Great tool, if a bit pricey.

Mike_Jackson

Paddler
I have the Thule version which is similar - an extendable bar - and it is a great help in allowing me to load my kayak on top of my GM safari van singlehandedly.

Dave_Barrie

Paddler
Well I forked out the money and got one.......and I'd have to say it's worth every penny. It's one of those things that you look at and say "why didn't I think of that?" It sure makes loading and unloading the boat by yourself a breeze.....before it wasn't even possible.

So I give it two thumbs up!

D-MAC

Hmemade "Yakima Loader"

Mike_Jackson said:
I have the Thule version which is similar - an extendable bar - and it is a great help in allowing me to load my kayak on top of my GM safari van singlehandedly.
And then there's the poor man's version. Insert a piece of EMT conduit or similar into your roof rack cross bar. Attach a line to it and a cork to plug the cross bar. Maybe some tape or foam around the EMT to stop it rattling and driving you nuts. To use pull out plug / cork, pull out EMT to extended position. It works. Total cost ,,, who cares. And nobody is going to steal this thing!

ztar

Paddler
Re: Hmemade "Yakima Loader"

D-MAC said:
And then there's the poor man's version. Insert a piece of EMT conduit or similar into your roof rack cross bar.
Or the even poorer man's version: open your van door and prop the bow section of the kayak on it (with perhaps a pool-noodle or some foam slipped over the upper edge of the door). Then lift the aft section on to the back of the roof rack (with a short guy like me making use of a plastic milk crate to stand on).

Getting the kayak on the roof with the "put the bow on the front door and then lift the aft onto the roof...." method

Clearly NOT very elegant.

Cheers