• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

The Pipedreams Project, BC's coast & the Enbridge Pipeline

Re: The Pipedreams Project, BC's coast & the Enbridge Pipeli

And yes, global warming is a myth as any rational mind will deduce.

The rational mind.........?

And yes, global warming is a myth as any rational mind will deduce.

Well, this from the highly respected 'Independent' paper........well I'm sure this will be viewed as propaganda, etc by Ken/Nick....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...under-threat-as-seas-turn-acidic-7499737.html

presidentcorporation.jpg

Regarding the rational mind...

Too funny! :clap:

Maybe i jumped the gun when i referred to you 2 as "reasonably intelligent individuals"??

Regardless, yes more propaganda from the peanut gallery with absolutely no science behind your links, as per norm... Anywho, i'm done here for now. You guys keep looking though and try to answer Kens questions to the best of your ability, until then i'ma going kayaking :big_thumb

bigbear said:
Yes Ken. It is called a 'Slapp' and I'm not surprised at all that you're in support of slapps. They do their job very effectively. Shut down public opposition by intimidation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation
You have a valid point. I note the wiki article states BC lags behind other jurisdictions in preventing SLAPP from occurring.

I am not in support of SLAPP. I do however support court action where there are 'valid good faith claims'. Taseko's suit can not be automatically dismissed as a SLAPP suit.

Quite a wind storm in Campbell River on Monday. I wonder if they will get worse?
1-300x225.jpg

http://www.globaltvbc.com/photos/campbe ... llery.html

97% of scientists actively publishing in the field agree that climate change is real and human caused

EXPERT CREDIBILITY IN CLIMATE CHANGE
William R. L. Anderegg, James W. Prall, Jacob Harold, and Stephen H. Schneidera
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
2010 July 6; 107(27): 12107–12109.

Abstract:
Although preliminary estimates from published literature and expert surveys suggest striking agreement among climate scientists on the tenets of anthropogenic climate change (ACC), the American public expresses substantial doubt about both the anthropogenic cause and the level of scientific agreement underpinning ACC. A broad analysis of the climate scientist community itself, the distribution of credibility of dissenting researchers relative to agreeing researchers, and the level of agreement among top climate experts has not been conducted and would inform future ACC discussions. Here, we use an extensive dataset of 1,372 climate researchers and their publication and citation data to show that (i) 97–98% of the climate researchers most actively publishing in the field surveyed here support the tenets of ACC outlined by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, and (ii) the relative climate expertise and scientific prominence of the researchers unconvinced of ACC are substantially below that of the convinced researchers.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/ ... 7.abstract

full paper:
http://www.pnas.org/content/107/27/12107.full

I may agree with the seriousness of human caused (ACC) global warming, but I am also able to see the benefits of a Pipeline. The two do not have to be mutually exclusive.

And yes, the wind storms are going to get worse.

The Harper government is in denial about climate change.
Which means they are ignoring some of the factors that should be taken into consideration when evaluating the benefits and costs of the pipeline.

ken_vandeburgt said:
http://www.watershedsentinel.ca/content/tar-sands-express-enbridge-northern-gateway-pipeline-or-railway-or-both

Read this for a different perspective on the tar sands, pipelines and railway shipping.
All I can say is... WOW!! :yikes:
A very interesting story.
Thanks for linking it Ken.

As I've said before...it is important to know who all the 'Players' are.

ken_vandeburgt said:
http://www.watershedsentinel.ca/content/tar-sands-express-enbridge-northern-gateway-pipeline-or-railway-or-both

Read this for a different perspective on the tar sands, pipelines and railway shipping.

You will be surprised to hear this from me Ken, but thanks for that link. An interesting informative article.

WELCOME TO MORDOR Guess somebody approached a probability of zero TO THREE DECIMAL PLACES...

Cleanup crews battle oil spill in Alberta's pristine wilderness

The Canadian Press June 9, 2012

Crews scrambled Friday to contain and clean up a pipeline spill believed to have sent up to 475,000 litres of crude oil flowing into the rain-swollen Red Deer River system in westcentral Alberta.

Plains Midstream Canada said when the spill was discovered Thursday night it closed off its network of pipelines in the area.

Tracey McCrimmon, executive director of a community group that works with the industry, said rural homeowners raised the alarm.

People living just north of Sundre phoned in reports Thursday night of smelling rotten eggs - the telltale odour of sour gas or sour oil, she said.

"The first call that we got was at 8: 40 p.m. There was an odour complaint. We had multiple calls of a rotten-egg smell," said McCrimmon, director of the Sundre Petroleum Operators Group. "We called all of the oil and gas operators within six kilometres of the area. They were able to source the odour within an hour."

The company said the oil spilled into Jackson Creek near Sundre, about 100 kilometres from Red Deer. Jackson Creek flows into the Red Deer River. Recent heavy rain has swollen streams and rivers in the area, some to near flood stage, and local officials are concerned the oil will spread more quickly down the system.

"There's oil in the river and the river is moving very quickly right now because of the recent rains and meltwater," said Bruce Beattie, reeve of Mountain View County, which is on the river system.

"Certainly anything that is coming out of the pipeline or that did come out of the pipeline is certainly moving quickly downstream. It's going to be a major environmental concern, for sure."

The region around Sundre is considered pristine wilderness by many in Alberta. It is a common getaway area for Calgary residents and is popular with anglers and hunters. The area where the oil spilled is mostly ranch land.

Alberta Environment spokeswoman Jessica Potter said communities and individuals downstream of the spill have been told not to use river water until further notice.

"Water intakes have been shut at all facilities downstream and we are encouraging people to shut-in their water and not draw from the river at this time," she said.

Premier Alison Redford said her government is doing what it can to deal with the pipeline breach and pledged a full investigation.

She said the province has an internationally recognized pipeline system supported by a strong regulatory framework, but if improvements need to be made, then action will be taken.

"Minimizing the environmental impact and ensuring the health and safety of Albertans is our priority," she said in a statement. "Albertans expect our pipeline infrastructure will be of the highest possible standards and that companies are complying with the rules and regulations we have in place. At the end of the day, we must ensure our families, our communities and our environment are protected."

The community of Sundre is upriver from the spill, but Red Deer is downstream. The City of Red Deer was told booms would be set up on the river near the Dickson Dam and Gleniffer Lake and Reservoir.

Leslie Chivers, a city spokesman, said people in Red Deer have been told there is nothing to worry about. "I hesitate to use the word concern because if they can clean up the spill, then life is normal," Chivers said.

"We are monitoring the situation. If things change, then we'll advise residents of further actions that will be happening."

Plains Midstream said it was light sour crude that spilled. It said Alberta energy regulators and government health and environment officials are monitoring water and air quality in the area.

"Light sour crude oil has a strong petroleum odour but this odour does not pose a health or safety risk to the public," the company said in a statement.

Company vice-president Stephen Bart said in a statement: "We deeply regret this incident and are working to ensure we're doing all we can to limit the extent of the release and any community and environmental impacts," he said.

"Light sour crude oil has a strong petroleum odour but this odour does not pose a health or safety risk to the public," the company said in a statement.

It's called sour because it contains H2S, which is extremely dangerous.

# Light Crude is crude oil with a low wax content.
# Sour Crude has a hydrogen sulfide level greater than 1%. It also contains carbon dioxide. It is usually processed into heavy oil such as diesel instead of gasoline to reduce processing costs. Venezuela is the world’s major producer.
http://benergypartners.com/Facts_About_Crude_Oil.html

50 - 200 ppm Severe respratory tract irritation, Eye irritation, Shock, Convulsions, Coma, Death in severe cases
http://www.safetydirectory.com/hazardou ... _sheet.htm

nootka said:

It's called sour because it contains H2S, which is extremely dangerous.

# Light Crude is crude oil with a low wax content.
# Sour Crude has a hydrogen sulfide level greater than 1%. It also contains carbon dioxide. It is usually processed into heavy oil such as diesel instead of gasoline to reduce processing costs. Venezuela is the world’s major producer.
http://benergypartners.com/Facts_About_Crude_Oil.html

50 - 200 ppm Severe respratory tract irritation, Eye irritation, Shock, Convulsions, Coma, Death in severe cases
http://www.safetydirectory.com/hazardou ... _sheet.htm

The hard part is getting even 50 ppm in open atmosphere.

Back