• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

A Late Winter Paddling Idle

SalishSeaNior

Paddler
In late March, after a long landlocked winter in the interior, I was very much looking forward to paddling season and getting out on the sea again. Watching the weather intently as the seasons began to transition. I saw a 4 day window in the third week of March. Sunny skies, light winds and temperatures rising to the low teens C. I packed up my paddling kit and headed down to Lummi Island to try to get in a late winter paddle. My plan was to paddle down from our cabin, around Vendovi Island and back on the first day out. I am very fortunate to have a cozy cabin on the Island where I can access superb paddling.

I will say now, that I am not an avid photographer, more is the ptiy, as I love to look at the images others post here, particularly landscapes, wildlife and seabirds. That being said, I have neither the technology, nor the patience to put photography at the top of my priorities when out paddling, espectially when fully kitted for cold water paddling.

On my first day out, temperature about 13C in the afternoon, I went from our cabin on Lummi out around Vendovi Island, about 20Kms round trip. Image is of my Ocean 17 kayak on the beach at Vendovi Island, Lummi Island behind.

EBD60D6C-49E2-4B38-A8F6-14D8CE75ABA1_1_105_c.jpeg

Wee boat on shingle beach on the north west shore of Vendovi Island, March 17th. Vendovi Island Preserve is a conservation area approximately 3.5 kms south of Lummi Island and east of the northern end of Guemes Island.

8E9CBA00-2C85-4225-A086-C236CEEF0A3D_1_105_c.jpeg

Looking north to Lummi Island, Viti Rocks just left of the bow.

10090A7A-9842-4599-BD5C-77CA013EBF8F_1_105_c.jpeg

My son joined me for day two and we set out at high tide to paddle from Lummi, around Portage Island. The lagoon at the north end of Portage Island is a sea and shore bird mecca. The sandbars and shingle spits on Portage were crowded with thousands of birds, cormorants, gulls, oyster catches and others. Pidgeon Guillemots and Aucklets on the water. Perhaps they are arriving and grouping in preparation for mating season?

One other thing of note with regard to birds: both on Vendovi and on Portage Island, there were many pairs of Eagles. The Bald Eagles were easy to identify, but there were.also quite a few pairs of Golden Eagles, with which I am not familiar. I had to look that up and sure enough, they are found in the area, though it says they are rare. I saw at least half a dozen pairs over three days.

Not a very exciting, or expeditionary trip report me thinks. But it was a lovely 3 days on the water. I was blessed.

Cheers, Rick

Back