• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Do you want to paddle Skook?

THR

Paddler
Hello everyone,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnWWwLKbDZE

Sorry for the advertisement :)..but skookumchuck as an amazing place. If you're interested in learning how to paddle skook...then I hope you consider signing up for Deep Cove's Plotting the Course to Skookumchuck.

Here's the course info and a quick little vid...

If you have any questions please PM me and I'd be more them happy to help :)

Thank you,

Rowan

PLOTTING THE COURSE TO SKOOKUMCHUCK
This multi-day courses offers the fundamental skills and knowledge needed for dealing with and enjoying currents, tidal races and over falls found in places such as the famed Skookumchuck.

This course includes 5 x 2 hour Classes & 5 Practice sessions in Deep Cove and 2 full days of learning at Skookumchuck, located in the Sechelt Inlet. This course also includes a DVD illustrating water movement and paddling techniques of Skookumchuck.

We will meet in Deep Cove twice a week for 5 weeks on Wednesdays. Wednesday classes will review, refresh and introduce the skills and theories needed to safely paddle in areas of current. Practices will occur on dates choosen by participants and we will use practices to solidify the skills taught during our classes. For overnight trips we will meet at Egmont Marina on the Sunshine Coast where we will spend the next two days learning and building confidence in the dynamic waters of the Sechelt Rapids. This course will involve topics such as edging and bracing, rolling, moving water recoveries and rescues, crossing strategies, predicting time, speed, and direction of currents, navigating through currents, assessing and avoiding hazards, and paddling techniques for dealing with eddy lines, eddies, boils, whirlpools, and standing waves.

This course was designed for those with some fundamental paddling skills and who are looking for new and exciting ways to enjoy the ocean. All participants must feel comfortable with a capsize situations as they are part of the learning process. Participants in this course will greatly increase their ability to control their kayak in rougher water. Our instructor to student ratio is kept at 1:3 to ensure a positive learning environment. Current speed during our trip will be appropriate for the group's skill level.

Price: $495 own boat, $844 includes kayak rental & Seasons Pass

Prerequisite:contact the school director at james@deepcovekayak.com

Intensity: High

Date & Times:
SESSION 1
Lessons: 6:00-8:00pm June 1, 3, 10, 15, 17
Practices: Self- directed
Trip: 9:00-5:00pm June 20, 21

SESSION 2
Lessons: 6:00-8:00pm June 22, 24, July 8, 13, 15
Practices: Self-directed
Trip: 9:00-5:00 July 18, 19

I have thrown in my opinion about the THR guys and their teaching techniques and wont go gushing about them again (they rock) but i will say personally that this course CHANGED EVERYTHING about they way i look at rapids, currents and rough water conditions. The paddling skills and confidence i learned in this course have forever changed the way i paddle.

if you had to pick 1 course to take this is the one. dont let the Surfing Skook Vids THR puts out fool you. the wave is a small part of the overall course. you learn how to deal with boils, whirlpools, eddielines, ferrying, rolling and rescues, rescues, rescues. (my arms still hurt from towing practice). The beauty of this course for me was that i got a chance to put all that practice and theory into real world situations at the wave.

since this course i am no longer afraid of rough conditions and actually seek them out (safely of course)

just my humble opinion

Rob

Totally agree!

I also have been taught almost everything i know about surf and current from our instructors and without a doubt i have to say that this is an awesome course to take. James and Rowan have designed a very detailed course that covers a huge variety of topics. They both have taught me so much about surfing, currents and safety and it really is tons of fun.

If you have the time you HAVE to take it!

Hey Nootka,

No the DVD isn't available without taking the course. It's not an instructional DVD. It's used as visual examples of techniques learned and practiced in class.

Sorry mate,

ro

Bummer!
and 2 full days of learning at Skookumchuck, located in the Sechelt Inlet. This course also includes a DVD illustrating water movement and paddling techniques of Skookumchuck.
Let me know if you ever do a 2 day course at Surge Narrows.
Cheers.

I would love to run a course up there. Its great place to learn. Anyone else want to join us?

ro

I just got back from a great little day trip to Skook....yes again:) I'm paddling Sterlings' prototype for the Reflection. It's a surfing monster!

...anyways here a little vid of me learning to back surf skook...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFEFUcbLoKI

Mick, you should come up with Reg next time...

ro

Back