• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

How do you carry your handheld radio?

I decided on a Kokatat Misfit with radio pocket to keep things simple. Works well as long as the radio antenna is not too long; with a longer antenna one may be in for a nose or eye poke. It would be nice if Kokatat angled the pocket so the antenna pointed up along the PFD shoulder strap. A strap fastened to the shoulder strap to hold the antenna over to the side helps.

semdoug said:
I decided on a Kokatat Misfit with radio pocket to keep things simple. Works well as long as the radio antenna is not too long; with a longer antenna one may be in for a nose or eye poke. It would be nice if Kokatat angled the pocket so the antenna pointed up along the PFD shoulder strap. A strap fastened to the shoulder strap to hold the antenna over to the side helps.

That's the same PFD I'm using mostly. I agree that Kokatat could easily tilt that pocket slightly which would help ward off nosy antennas.

A short wedge of minicell adhered to the inside of the pocket, near the bottom, will also shift the antenna out. Also makes for a better jam fit.

I lost one VHF because I had not evolved to using a lanyard clip ... no more.

I'll have to try the minicell wedge idea, though the radio is already a tight fit.

That pocket on the MsFit won't allow anything but the radio in it, with my VHF. The Standard Horizons HX851 is one of the bigger ones I guess. That said, it fits well in either of the lower side pockets as long as you aren't counting on that wider storage option for something else already.

Back