• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

I'm building a boat!

mewisemagic

Paddler
Well, I just ordered my Arctic Tern 17! :D

Looking forward to building it. I will definitely be asking more questions on the board once I get started.

cyrus

Hey Cyrus,

Congradulations on pulling the trigger and building a boat. I just finished my pygmy double and it was a lot of fun to build, and even more fun to paddle.
The only advise I can give up front before you start is make sure you have a random orbital sander with a way to hook up a shop vacuum to it. The sander makes quick work of all the sanding needed, especially at the end of the project when you need to sand the whole boat down for the final finish. The vacuum will save you with a filthy and dusty shop or garage and it will also keep your skin and hair from turning white :( . I used a vacuum attached to the ROS and I had very little dust in my garage when I was finished with the boat. It makes for a lot of noise with both running but it is well worth it. Get some ear plugs to wear when sanding with the ROS. I would love to see some photos as you progress.

Have fun and good luck.
Greg S.

Yowsa on the vacuum-capable ROS. Aside from the dust containment, the vacuum helps keep the sandpaper in contact with the work. And, don't skimp on the sandpaper. Get a quality brand (Mirkka is one), maybe a box of 80 grit, and change it out as soon as it gets worn. Life is too short to stretch out sandpaper.

Another useful tool is a cabinet scraper, for tooling off lumps, bumps, and runs when you slather epoxy on the boat. Get a carbide-bladed one.

Another useful tool is a cabinet scraper, for tooling off lumps, bumps, and runs when you slather epoxy on the boat. Get a carbide-bladed one.

The cabinet scraper was definitely a good call. Glad I got it.
cyrus

Back