• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Knee support

crussoflyfisher

Paddler
I find when I am paddling for a long period of time that my knee area gets fatigued. I was thinking of a foam block of some sort to just rest my knees on the side of the inside part to the kayak. Any ideas would be appreciated.

would a partially inflated paddle-float [or 2] work? . . . readily adjustable.

I've not heard of this as an issue before. I'd be interested in knowing what boat you are in, and your rough dimensions (height, weight, if a sit inside- shoe size) just to make sure everything seems right.

not the OP knee issue, but I had a bad hamstring injury whose uncomfort was greatly lessened by partially inflating one paddlefloat under. It allowed me to proceed with a several days outing.

and I'm sure most won't believe it, but I slit one of my paddlefloats at the far end [for another use - a type of rescue practice] and it also can now slide over a leg or an arm to provide full or partial cushioning around the full appendage if there were serious knee/elbow issues. If out and about and combined with a stick or 2 it might even could a reasonable splint. If nothing else availabe, worth a try maybe.

A friend who owns a big tripping boat (Nimbus Telkwa) recently added foam blocks to the sides of the cockpit - in the knee area- to bring his legs closer to the centerline of the boat, and under the thigh pads, to aid in comfort and also 'grip' for edging and especially rolling. The (grey closed-cell) foam is about 2" thick.

and I'm sure most won't believe it, but I slit one of my paddlefloats at the far end [for another use - a type of rescue practice] and it also can now slide over a leg or an arm to provide full or partial cushioning around the full appendage if there were serious knee/elbow issues. If out and about and combined with a stick or 2 it might even could a reasonable splint. If nothing else availabe, worth a try maybe.
I would love to see a video of that in action Mick,
Or at least a photo of it.

Over the years I’ve heard suggestions of putting a small dry bag - something cylindrical - in front of the seat. But I think that was mostly for people whose legs would get numb because of the hard seat edge pressing into the back of their leg. Whatever you do, make sure it doesn’t impede your exit-ability. There’s locked in and there’s LOCKED IN.

Last edited:
Back