• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Lost At Sea Documentary

Batstar

Paddler
I thought that I would pass on this link for anyone interested in watching this CBC doc tonight. It airs at 10 pm EST.

Lost At Sea

I think some of you might have already seen the full episode (Solo) on National Geographic a while ago. It’s about Andrew McAuley’s attempt to become the first person to kayak from Australia to New Zealand.

Be advised... it's not easy to watch this. Andrew's VHF calls for help were apparently garbled in their original form but the ones you'll hear in this documentary are not that difficult to understand and you'll find yourself on the edge of your chair hoping someone will get to him in time. At least I did.

Worth watching... but it's difficult watching.

Craig

Yes, thank you for the heads up on this, I very much enjoyed the show despite it's unhappy ending.

I dont know about the rest of you, but I've always had difficulty understanding the extreme challenge crowd. For me the outdoors is something to be enjoyed, the sunsets and morning fog, the wild life and the fishing, I try to prolong every trip I do to maximize the amount of experiences I can fit into a three week period.

I know it's a sport however, when I see the extreme adventurers crowd venture into the world's greatest natural playgrounds it is almost as if their interest is in the conquering of these areas, either by the accomplishment of making the fastest possible time or enduring the worst possible conditions.

Somehow I always feel as though they are missing something so much more important. I wonder if they would say they the same about those like me?

Monster said:
Yes, thank you for the heads up on this, I very much enjoyed the show despite it's unhappy ending.

I dont know about the rest of you, but I've always had difficulty understanding the extreme challenge crowd. For me the outdoors is something to be enjoyed, the sunsets and morning fog, the wild life and the fishing, I try to prolong every trip I do to maximize the amount of experiences I can fit into a three week period.

I know it's a sport however, when I see the extreme adventurers crowd venture into the world's greatest natural playgrounds it is almost as if their interest is in the conquering of these areas, either by the accomplishment of making the fastest possible time or enduring the worst possible conditions.

Somehow I always feel as though they are missing something so much more important. I wonder if they would say they the same about those like me?

The beauty of sea kayaking is it can be whatever you want it to be - adventurous, relaxation, finding yourself, losing yourself, immersion in the natural, simple escape from the manmade, life or death decisions on the fly, research and planning and seamanship in extreme, speed, slowness, cuisine, basics, reading books, teaching children, togetherness, alone-ness, high seas, no seas, the wild side, the tidal constricted side, the open crossing, the longest crossing, the mothership tour, the budget tour. Whatever you want. Many aspects are commingled within the space of an hour, a day, a week, a lifetime. Your legacy even. You can be out on the water and in world class extreme conditions for five bucks in fuel and some roof racks, doing things the man-boy in you never dreamed imaginable when you first walked in that kayak store. Or not. Whatever you are missing, you can add it to the agenda at the drop of a paddle stroke. Whatever you don’t like, you can drop it like a lost piece of gear overboard. You can die out there. You can find life.

Doug L

Seems like it was an equipment failure that got him... aside from the choice to attempt the crossing.

Perhaps rogue wave(s) slammed him causing him to capsize then the pod clamp detached causing the pod to hang down underwater making it impossible for Andrew to right the kayak . Then it was hypothermic dream time and his life spark faded away.

Redcedar said:
Seems like it was an equipment failure that got him... aside from the choice to attempt the crossing.

Perhaps rogue wave(s) slammed him causing him to capsize then the pod clamp detached causing the pod to hang down underwater making it impossible for Andrew to right the kayak . Then it was hypothermic dream time and his life spark faded away.

I don't have cablevision so can't view the documentary, but I rather suspect what you surmize as very probable. A shame really. And I really do think all the things many of us find fascinating with the sport of sea kayaking were extent in Andrew. Just extended out to the max - and then some. I for one can't even image some of the sunrises and sunsets he got to partake in out there. Can't imagine. Don't want to.

Doug L

Monster nailed it for me. Never have understood extreme sports ... or extreme deprivation/suffering. I think I'm a diletante ... with a penchant for wild places.

Watching the documentary confirmed my belief that sea kayaks are wonderful COASTAL craft that are well designed for nightly visits to beautiful and sometimes remote beaches, wonderful landscapes etc. I don't think of them as OCEAN going vessels.
A sad story...

Back