• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

P&H Hammer at Surge Narrows

Comoxpaddler

Paddler
Short video of the Hammer at Surge Narrows on a 9 knot day. Paul Mysak (crpaddler) is the paddler. Kudos to MEC for loaning it to him so he could bring it up here. I tried it for a few minutes - great fun but I'm happy with my Delphin. Little less twirly than the Hammer, which is more difficult (for me) to keep on a straight line in boils and the difficult eddy lines at the wave at Surge. Paul didn't have a problem though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iltTBzQLpAc

A couple of people have been asking about my thoughts on the Hammer so I'm posting a little review here. In this review I'm comparing it mainly to the Reflection. I have paddled Rowan Gloag's old Reflection in Surge in some decent current. The past weekend when I had the Hammer Ro's new reflection was there and I was jumping back in and out of the Reflection and Hammer in flat water comparing them. Unfortunately I didn't get to test the new Reflection out in current that day, but I did get to see it in action in Surge as the current built up before it had to take off.

As for comparison to other boats, normally I paddle a plastic Chatham 16 for playing and a HV Exploerer for tripping. I've spent most of my time in Surge in the Chatham or Explorer, but have also been there in a Romany and Delphin, and the weekend I was testing the Hammer I also surfed the Delphin.

In short, both the Hammer and the Reflectin actually feel quite similar to each other.

Both roll very similar, and neither like body bracing very much to about the same degree - I slowly sink in both of them unlike in my Explorer, mind you, that's the same with the Chatham also.

Highish back deck on both the Reflection and Hammer. Both feel the same to hand roll - do able, but I wouldn't trust myself in rough water! Ok I wouldn't trust my hand roll in any kayak in rough water :)!

Hammer has the tighter turning radius, but Reflection is tight also. I prefer the feel of the reflection better on the flatwater - I think the feel of fibreglass and its lines is the reason.

Reflection needs Yakima footpegs, not the crappy plastic ones, but I was surprised how much I liked the feel of the Reflection - normally I want stronger thigh hooks, but the cockpit is the most keyholed one I've ever been in and I felt nice and snug in it. Love the outfitting of the Hammer, but my foot got stuck between the rail and the footplate on a re-entry roll in current. I could still get upright and paddle, but really had to play and jerk my foot around for about 45 seconds till foot was unstuck and in right place - note that I could still have come out of boat, foot was stuck and prevented from being in the right place and not trapping me in. Still not cool though.

Oh and the Delphin should not be made with those lousy plastic footepegs. Period. I don't care whether there is also the footplate option in the surf model, if they're touting it as a performance boat don't put in lolly gagging recreational footpegs. The Chatham 16 now comes with those lousy plastic footpegs also and Brent broke 5 of them in 1 month before we switched them out and put in the Yakimas.

Note that I'm not necessarily a huge Yakima fanatic - I just want some type of metal footpegs that I'm sure won't break on me!

As for performance on the wave. Both very forgiving, and surprisingly the Reflection almost looks like it would perform as well on the foam pile as the Hammer. This from seeing videos of it and my little experience in it.
Reflections big advantage is its speed - on slower current you could fix a mistake with speed if needed. Hammer not so. But, when Surge was at 9 knots Hammer was very responsive to little corrections and you could just slide over and onto wave in right position whereas the Chatham 16 and Delpin usually need 1 strong forward stroke/sweep stroke. I think the Reflection might be closer to the Hammer than the other 2, but in most cases might still need that 1 forward stroke.

I'll have to try them both out in big surf on the west coast, but my feeling is that the Reflection is better on greener waves with some surf, spilling and bigger with some plunging - but when it comes to bigger plunging surf I'd want the Hammer.
Wish I could have taken the Hammer up to Okisollo, not sure it would be as good as the Reflection there when the wave is steep and green. Actually thinking about this one more, I don't think the Hammer would have the hull speed for Okisollo - as you have to drop into the wave you might just get carried off and not have enough speed to drop down. When it's the claw of death then, yes, the Hammer would be better - but really you want a true whitewater boat then ... and at least 1 power/rescue boat!

As for why I put the Hammer and the Reflection in the same class, they're designed very similarly with lots of volume around the cockpit and rocker so that the bow and stern free up. The recent video by Simon Osborn shows some moves that can't be done in a Chatham or Romany ... or at least I most certainly can't, maybe better paddlers out there can! I have, however, seen videos of Ro and Kate Hives pulling off similar style moves in the foam pile and surfing down the line in the Reflection. It seems both boats were designed for tidal currents, surf, and rock gardening - hence the comparison!

Simon in Hammer (see especially 1:50 to compare with Reflection video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBNIKJEOBew

Kate in Reflection at 3:35:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkO3Rsdi3dE

I'm pretty sure I've seen videos since then of Rowan spinning his boat around in foam at Jordan or Tofino, but can't find it right now - if anyone has it please post!

I don't think any other boat I've tried could do that in surf. Yes the Delphin loves spinning and dropping down the wave, but I don't think you can spin it around and backsurf it like the other 2.

Well those are my thoughts, hope you find them useful. Feel free to disagree completely or add caveats to anything I've said!

I'll have to disagree with several points.
The Seadog footbraces Sterling uses are IMO about as good as it gets, though I prefer bulkhead/footboards. The footbraces in question are glass filled nylon, so actually composite and I've never heard of one of these breaking. All that being said, I foamed out my bulkhead in my Reflection, just the same good gear & good boat builders shouldn't get badmouthed as being cheap because they're not using weaker corrosion prone aluminum.
The Sterling Reflection is a sea kayak, it is 16' in length, has piched ends and features that makes up what is traditionally called a sea kayak, the Hammer is I believe shy of 14', has a ww boat inspired hull and is not a sea kayak by the traditional standard. While I own a Reflection and have surfed it extensively, I have not spent any time in the Hammer except for time in Neptune Bill's during our WW boats for rock gardening review. I have surfed a lot with Bill, him in his H, me in my R, from observation and from others remarks I'm fairly certain they act significantly different on a wave, YMMV.

FWIW, tOM

Good comments Tom!

I’ve had such bad experiences with plastic footpegs that I just don’t trust them. Whenever I start paddling and I feel them flexing underneath me I get very nervous. I have seen a Reflection footpeg break once, but I do get what you’re saying and that they are stronger than the ones in the Chatham. Also, I do know at least one accomplished paddlers that prefers those plastic ones as they have a greater surface area to support the foot as opposed to the smaller area on the metal ones. I didn’t mean to imply that Sterling was cheap, I think the Reflection is an awesome kayak and wish I could own one. My personal opinion, though, is always going to remain that if footpegs are going to be used in a performance/rough water kayak instead of a bulkhead/footboard then they shouldn’t be plastic.

I don’t know whether a Hammer can be called a Sea Kayak either, but I compared it to the Reflection as I had both there and the feel sitting in the cockpit felt very similar to me. I didn’t play enough with both of them on the wave to get a true appreciation of their differences. I know quite a few people that say they are quite different – I’m curious to hear what your thoughts are on how they do differ? Also, what sea kayak out there is closest to the Hammer? For me it would be the Reflection, I can’t think of another one other than maybe the Delphin – or should the Hammer just simply not be compared to a Sea Kayak at all?

Hmm, seems our points of perspective may be apples to oranges, similarly the boats in question IMO.

There is certainly no harm in comparing the two, I think where we diverge is considering them in the same "class" of boat; though it could be argued that both the Hammer and Reflection are really hybrid kayaks. For my part, I don't and haven't done a lot of standing wave surfing, nor do I have much time in tide races. I do rock garden and surf breaks a lot and have tried a number of different sea kayaks in that type of surf, but not that many. Further, I do not feel I am all that accomplished or experienced to be the final word on such. I do have some strong and well earned opinons though. Neptune Bill could chime in on surfing the Hammer with as much authority as anyone IMO, but I don't think he's ever surfed a Reflection. Maybe one of THR crew has enough time in differing conditions in both boats to compare, I don't know. My Reflections' rock gardening days are over, not that it isn't a great design for such, but I get nervous about smacking the rocks,(so I end up smacking the rocks). I do all my RG'g in plastic now, either in a WS Zephyr 155, Dagger Alchemy or my preferred a Dagger Greenboat. Since I love surfing sea kayaks, I have a Reflection. Nothing else I've been in yet compares to it, when I find something that outperforms it I'll be in one.

Sorry I have so little to add, all the best, tOM

P.S.

IMO for comparison sake to the Reflection in surf; Romany, Delphin/Aries, Gemini, Zephyr, Alchemy, Tiderace Extra(?), Sterling Grand Illusion(could be the closest) and ...

For the Hammer, LL Stinger XP...(and I hear rumor of a similar effort coming from Jackson)

Back