• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

rockfish closure

fester

Paddler
Due to increased fishing pressure over the last few decades, DFO has closed many areas to rockfish harvesting. Most of these closures forbid any fishing for fin fish. The entire inside limit of the broken group is one of these areas.

Most local species of rockfish are very slow growing [at two pounds some are as much as 30 years old] . As a result they must have several decades if they are to be allowed to recouver. If they are caught incidently [while angling for other species] and brought to the surface from a depth greater than 40 feet or so, they usually will not survive if released.

Please give this some thought before you decide to" live off the land" while paddling

There is a good deal more info on the DFO website.

fester said:
Due to increased fishing pressure over the last few decades, DFO has closed many areas to rockfish harvesting. Most of these closures forbid any fishing for fin fish. The entire inside limit of the broken group is one of these areas.
Been going to the Brokens fo ten years, fishing for rockfish the first five years or so, and the decrease in numbers caught, and shift to smaller size made it plain a closure was needed. Overdue. I bet it will be ten years before the populations are restored.

They have nothing to fear when it comes to my fishing abilities. The only thing I catch is a buzz. :?

I keep buying licences.. I even have a depth sounder for my yak. But no fish for me.. :cry:
I like oysters, they're slower :lol:

Back