• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Sleeping hammock

pawsplus said:
I wish I lived up there so I could try a bunch of them. I only know one person here with one! I'll try it when I have a chance and see what I think!
If you are really interested:
Hammockers often seem to be looking for 'converts' -it's a very open community by all appearances. Check out hammockforums.net and look for 'group hangs' ...there may be one some time in your area. Posting a message there would probably get you some contacts for trying out different types and models of hammocks.
Lots of used gear listed there as well....
Also, there's a very active DIY side to hammocking, so if you can sew, that is a chance to save a bit of money (on the more complex hammocks, perhaps and also on accessories)

BTW, I'm one person that can't sleep comfortably in the basic 'gathered end' style hammock (too constricting)- they definitely aren't for everybody...

Just an FYI. If you are using one of the ultra-light hennessy hammocks DO NOT use the double rap ring suspension technique that is very popular. The spectra line the ultra light uses cannot handle being crushed between the two rings, and it will fail and snap. The normal models use a thicker rope and are fine, but I've given up on this method and just use hammock straps instead.

Back