• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Circumnavigating Saltspring

CPS

Paddler
Thinking about heading over to Saltspring island and making my way around it at some point soon.
Starting to get myself organized. I will be picking up charts sometime next week, so will start pondering currents, and other issues.

So a few things I'd like opinions on. I'm tempted to save some money and head over as a walk on from the lower mainland. Any issues launching near the terminal? I see Welbury Bay listed on the BCMT map which looks pretty promising.

Are there other launch sites significantly better that justify taking the car over?

Any local issues worth being aware of in advance?

One car justification - if it’s still being held (with COVID still an issue) - is to get over to Ganges Harbor for their Saturday Market. You can justify the gluttony as carbo-loading before a trip. Or After your trip as “recovery food”.

The last time I asked at Fulford Harbor, I was told they had showers but they were ONLY for the yachties. I’ve used the public pool on Rainbow road - but that’s not really a shower. It’s just a sprinkle you go though on the way from the locker room to the main pool. You have to push a button over and over - like it as an auto shutoff every 15 seconds or so.

I’ve only launched from the north end on Abutus Rd to head to Wallace and points north or south. These days (like two years ago - before the border closing) we stayed at Mowhinna Creek Campground on Fulford-Ganges Rd. It only costs a little more than Ruckle but for us, the showers, laundry, bathrooms, and site with hammock poles is worth it.

I realize the above is not focused on circumnavigation but it is why we take a car to SaltSprings.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPS
A great trip. Launch from Long Harbour. Biggest paddle challenge is Sansum narrows. Good camping spots all the way around but not on SS, only kayak camping on SS is at Musgrave and Ruckle. We use, Prevost, Wallace, Tent (now closed to camping), Portland. Have fun, be safe, leave no trace.

Reactions: CPS
Thanks for the advice everyone. I had two consecutive days off so cranked it out. The ramp at Long Harbour is a doozy. Managed to make my way down it and the stairs with the cart in one piece. Was a bit touch and go for a minute, but nothing too outrageous.

Weather was great, made it over to a rather marginal site near Sansum narrows so I could slip through the next morning close to slack.
Stretched my legs a bit on Russell island around 9 and had the kayak up the ramp and ready to roll around 12:30.

A great weekend. Will post some pictures later.

There is a great spot at the NW end of Long Harbour for launching, at Beachside Drive, super easy and great parking. That is a great trip around SS, we've done it in both directions. The last time we launched from Genoa Bay, another great launch (on VI), especially ending there, great food in the pub there.

Back