• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Major Forum Upgrade Complete

Looks like we can have higher resolution in our profile photos. Has the recommended image size (pixel x pixel) changed for profile and/or photo enclosures changed? If so - or anyway - could you please post those sizes here as a reference.
Hi CM. It is recommended that you use an image that is at least 400x400 pixels for your profile picture, ideally with the focus of the image in the center.

Hopefully the email notices of new activity on 'subscribed threads' (now 'Watch') will return after a long absence.

For starters, each user can control their overall general email notifications, illustrated in the red arrows below (top right > your username > preferences):

email-notifications.png

When viewing a thread, after selecting 'Watch' on a topic, you will be presented with choices of email notifications:

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 12.22.01 PM.png

Look for a Push Notification at the bottom of the screen on a topic that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 7.32.55 PM.png

These settings will email on a reply you but Safari is not well supported (use Chrome if necessary). We're still finding a workaround but this brings us much closer.

Attachments

• email subscriptions preferences.png
    email subscriptions preferences.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 303
A few months ago Paddling.com went through a major upgrade. It took them several weeks to get everything sorted out but I feel that it is working well now and greatly prefer the new software to the old. It took a site Administrator (like Tongo-Rad) who listened carefully and was responsive to concerns to address the issues. I'm very comfy with what is going on here and I appreciate JohnAbercombie and Designer's communication on existing glitches.

Good work, folks and thank you

Let me add my voice to the chorus of thanks to our administrators. Still the best forum on the internet!

One issue I hope is still on your radar is that all uploaded images and captions older than ~June 2017 are lost. Dan mentioned a couple years ago the old material would be recovered. I hope that's still a possibility.

Thank you again, everyone.

Alex

One issue I hope is still on your radar is that all uploaded images and captions older than ~June 2017 are lost. Dan mentioned a couple years ago the old material would be recovered. I hope that's still a possibility.
Alex -
Perhaps not all older materials are lost - this thread by 'Nootka' from 2012 still has the pics:

I picked that thread as I'd saved it in my computer, not confident it wouldn't be lost. Perhaps it's not representative of all the older posts.

Certainly many forums are full of 'broken' picture links - the worst offenders are forums that insisted on 'no picture uploads', instead having participants use picture hosting sites. Fortunately WCP has allowed uploads.

We appreciate the support. Certainly a lot of hours go into the forum management and we are motivated by our love of paddling and the fostering of community :) For everyone's knowledge the forum is currently maintained by the following folks, and note some of our roles overlap:
  1. Dan - "Dan_Millsip" - Forum Owner and domain hosting.
  2. Phillip - "Kayakwriter" - Forum Editor
  3. Raj - "Tongo-Rad" - Technical Administrator
  4. Andy - "Andy_Ferguson" - Administrator
  5. Mick - "mick_allen" - Forum Moderator and oddball ;)
We are exploring ways to monetize the forum to help cover time/costs but since that often requires the use of ads, we're hoping for a viable alternative. Donations are certainly welcome and when we have a mechanism for that, we'll post a notice. Thanks!

Thanks, Dan...
However I have seen more than one example of an upgrade being shortly followed by the death of a forum.
Perhaps not 'cause and effect' but I do miss sites like kayakforum and the seakayak forum from Australia.

I'd hate to see the same thing happen here.
It won't. This isn't our first forum upgrade. Just please be a bit patient -- we're all busy people and are doing our best with available time to get the little things on the site restored to the way they were before this upgrade. Give it a week or so. Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated.

Some news will be coming in the next week or so regarding the future of the site -- it's all good.

In the meanwhile, if anyone sees anything that is incorrect or needs adjusting on the site, please let us know in this thread.

Thanks.

I just got 2 email notifications for the same post ('test') in the Kayak seat for sale thread by Tongo (formerly known as Raj?).
It's good to see that emails might be in the pipeline, but the 'double' was a surprise.

I just got 2 email notifications for the same post ('test') in the Kayak seat for sale thread by Tongo (formerly known as Raj?).
It's good to see that emails might be in the pipeline, but the 'double' was a surprise.
Excellent. I had replied twice to test it.

Excellent! Thanks for all the work.

I was going to add a 'thumbs Up" here but it's not in the smiley list (yet).
One thing at a time......

It's there, showing at the bottom right of every post. You just need to take some time to get acquainted with the new interface:

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 9.01.29 AM.png

It's there, showing at the bottom right of every post. You just need to take some time to get acquainted with the new interface:

View attachment 8283

I understand what you are saying - I can 'like' a post from somebody else using that feature.

Perhaps I don't understand - could you explain how to use that to add a 'Thumbs up' within a post that I am composing? Thanks.

Here's the 'Smiley list',which doesn't have the 'old' standard 'Thumbs Up'. I used to know the typing 'shortcut' ( thumbsup with leading and trailing colons) but had forgotten it. It now looks different - much harder to see - but it is there.

WCP smilies.JPG

thumbsup.original.png

vs

WCP thumbs.JPG

BTW, do we really want or need the 'poop' smiley?

Alex -
Perhaps not all older materials are lost - this thread by 'Nootka' from 2012 still has the pics:

I picked that thread as I'd saved it in my computer, not confident it wouldn't be lost. Perhaps it's not representative of all the older posts.

Certainly many forums are full of 'broken' picture links - the worst offenders are forums that insisted on 'no picture uploads', instead having participants use picture hosting sites. Fortunately WCP has allowed uploads.
We tried to get the broken links corrected but unfortunately it wasn't possible with the knowledge and expertise we had at the time. Alex, you are correct that not all of the image links were damaged, only some posts were effected -- unfortunately, the damage occurred during a database restore and some data packets were lost in the transfer which makes it even more difficult to fix. The uploaded images are all still on the site but the links in the posts got corrupted. We'll look at it again in the future and maybe we can find a solution to restore the links (possibly by manually editing posts with broken links?) but I think the reality is that we may just have to go forward from here.

To your comment John, regarding uploading images -- we made a conscious decision way back when to host images for that very reason - to avoid broken links from image hosting sites that have gone by the wayside.

Last edited:
Here's the 'Smiley list',which doesn't have the 'old' standard 'Thumbs Up'. I used to know the typing 'shortcut' ( thumbsup with leading and trailing colons) but had forgotten it. It now looks different - much harder to see - but it is there.
The smiley's in this upgrade are different from the previous library. We'll find a thumbs up icon and add it to the current library.

Probably not. But there very well could be that one situation where it's exactly what's required...

Last edited:
Perhaps I don't understand - could you explain how to use that to add a 'Thumbs up' within a post that I am composing? Thanks.
:poop: is a part of life! Without it, where would the primary decomposers be? :frown: The set of smilies is what we have to work with for now - but rest assured, updating the smilies collection to add a thumbs-up will be priortized appropriately.

To reiterate what Dan mentioned, please be patient as we have a lot on our plate. The work completed on the forum just over the last three days alone totals over 15 hours, mixed in with our regular jobs and family. Thanks for your understanding.

To reiterate what Dan mentioned, please be patient as we have a lot on our plate. The work completed on the forum just over the last three days alone totals over 15 hours, mixed in with our regular jobs and family. Thanks for your understanding.
I appreciate all the work involved, and I certainly don't expect 'instant' fixes.
You (the 'Admin Team') did ask for suggestions and observations.

Back