Kayak sails - Flat Earth, Sea Dog, Falcon, DIY?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by JohnAbercrombie, Jul 5, 2019.

1. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I'm looking for input on kayak sails - what have you used?

I used the Flat Earth sail in a workshop at PPS with Ginni Callahan a few years ago.
    I notice that is also the sail that Justine Curgenven used on her Aleutian trip.

I think that 'Kayakwriter' here uses the Falcon sail.

I've seen videos from NZ/AUS-Tasmania with folks using a variety of sails, including DIY sails stepped through the deck (vs on a hinged step).

I'm 'leaning toward' the Flat Earth sails. The Falcon sail is much more expensive (almost double) and I've been a bit 'put off' by their marketing copy.

But I'm still looking for info, so would value user experiences with sails in BC/PNW wind conditions (when we have wind...which seemed to be a problem when I was in a sailboat... :) )

2. rider

rider Paddler

A friend of mine has a Falcon. He brought it out on our trip around Cape Scott. It is new-ish to him, so that may account for some un-ease using it in stiffer winds, but seems like you need consistent light-medium winds(and a rudder boat) to make them worthwhile...honestly i came away not sold on the idea in the context of something i would use in foreseeable future.

JohnAbercrombie likes this.
  3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

John, several years ago, I was an active participant in this group. It may have a few folks in the folding kayak community who know sail rigs. http://foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/

4. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

5. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

There's a sub-forum there, devoted entirely to Sailing and sailing rigs....looks like an excellent source, even for 'hard boat' users. Thanks!

6. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

That pdf is a good sobering read, John. Lots to think about.

7. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Yes, I was impressed by the fact that it's the current producers of the Flat Earth kayak sails that have that article publicly available. (...and wrote the article as well).
    I'm always suspicious of companies that take the 'It's easy for anybody!!' approach a.k.a. 'Say anything to make a buck'.

Paddling downwind is always a potentially dangerous situation if in a group, as it's difficult to paddle back to help if somebody capsizes. And the increased speeds of sailing kayaks make that situation even worse, unless you keep line abreast and are aware.
    I noticed in a YouTube video of some Tasmanian sail kayakers that they did keep in close proximity, and mostly abreast - so in sight of each other.

8. Greenkiteskier

Greenkiteskier Paddler

My wife uses the KayakSailer unit out of Hood River Oregon. And it's excellent with lee boards and a jib. Easy to mount and put up/down,tack with, and beam reach. Expensive but you get what you pay for

9. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Thanks.
    Which kayak is her sail mounted on?
    Can she paddle with the sail up?
    Don't the leeboards get in the way if the kayak is being used in 'non-paddling' mode?

I want something that will add to my speed when I'm paddling, so I'm interested in how easy it is to add (and subtract) sailpower while underway.