• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Left a trace.

Wild Pacific Trail

IMGP0173.jpg

Anyone living near east Mission or Dewdney? Would like to see a photo of the place at the mouth of Nicomen Slough, across from Strawberry Island.

That has to be absolutely the filthiest outdoor facility in the province. How drunks (they had to be that) could spray human excrement that high up, and in so many corners boggles the mind. Difficult to understand.

Maybe it's been removed by now?
UGGGHHH!!

Hey, Dave_Barrie, that looks like "Old Ewwg" that I dragged to the Malcolm Island dump last summer, concluding yet another sorry DIY plumbing exercise.

The shwanky digs at Chilkoot Lake State Park, Haines, Alaska. Don't be fooled; they are pits (the stacks give it away!):

335_thepits_1.jpg

:lol:
:lol:

These are funny!
I like the one atop Salt Spring Island!
Kermit is mighty cute too!
Now I will be on the lookout for my next picture.

Quinoot Point / Joassa Channel

The camera was held level. Have to be careful there.

84_184b_Quinoot_Outhouse_1.jpg

Excerpts from 2005 Central Coast Trip Log

Sometime between naps and “Little Big Man” the rain let up and I stepped outside to explore. Up the hill from the shack were the remains of a larger building, probably a dwelling. I got to thinking that if a dwelling had been here then maybe this would be the site of the infamous “pit toilet”. I searched the wet forest for an outhouse but found nothing. This preoccupation with the toilet got me to agonizing about how my remaining supply of toilet paper wasn’t proportional to the days remaining on the trip. What I was facing was a serious budget deficit. Maybe the illusive “pit toilet” had a ready supply. I just had to find it.

With that as my motivation I increased the radius of the search. The good news was that the strategy paid off and I found it just above the far edge of our beach. The bad news was that it lived up to Larry’s prediction and had no roof. What was worse, was that it consisted of a sodden wooden box with a couple of loose pieces of driftwood laid across the top to sit on. The final insult was the number of “no-seeums” that swarmed up out of the pit to greet my arrival. I realized then that this was our KOA from Hell. This was the BC Coastal Rec Map’s idea of a “developed campsite” and a “pit toilet”. This was Hotel Triquet.

I knew what I had to do. I resolutely walked back to the shack and picked up the Mark Twain paperback that still sat on the window ledge. Ripping out the 50 or 60 pages that the mice had been chewing on and placing them in the drybag of kindling, I slipped the remainder into my pack of personal gear. “Roughing It” had taken on a new meaning and, just like that, the budget was balanced.

Back