• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Kayak Carriers

Robert_Meier

Paddler
Now that I've finally bought a kayak I need a rack. I've been on the Thule website and see on MEC and Thule.com that this set is new. But I'm not sure if they are any good. Any comments on this set:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product ... 28&sku=881
881 Thule Top Deck Kayak Carrier

It seems a real bargain compared to buying sets of saddles individually and ratcheting tie down straps, etc.

Also, it seems like it may be cheaper to go down the US and get them fitted there. I'm heading there this coming Friday so that may be an option. Is it cheaper, especially now with the stronger Canadian Dollar, to get them South of the border?

Thanks
Robert

The page that you've linked to is only for the cradles, not the bars. You'll still need the cross bars for your car.

RobertM said:
Also, it seems like it may be cheaper to go down the US and get them fitted there. I'm heading there this coming Friday so that may be an option. Is it cheaper, especially now with the stronger Canadian Dollar, to get them South of the border?
You have to be careful purchasing automotive accessories in the US if you're not intending to pay duty, taxes, etc. I've heard stories in the past of shops in the US that have called the border, after installing accessories on cars with Canadian plates. Given that the US dollar is not nearly as strong as it once was (and savings are minimal), it may not be worth the hassle.

Yes, I know about the other stuff I need.

I did a quick comparison and all what I need is US$338.04 after Washington State tax. Rack Attack prices in Canada after tax for what I need are $479.36. Even if the US$ converts to about $400 I'm still saving $80 and am going down there anyway.

Is it worth it? What's the duty? Anyone know, or have done this?

support the local shops..... :roll:

i think you don't need the saddles, go with foam blocks for $25/set and two good straps for $10 each on top of you crossbars and you are set!

andreas

I'd be concerned with warranty issues if I'd bought my rack in the states. I know I had to return my rack to Rack Attack about a month after I purchased it. Although they squawked about it and gave me a thorough runaround I was finally able to get the piece replaced. It would have been a hassle if I had to cross the border for the part

BTW, I believe Lordco stocks Thule racks as well.

Maybe I'll use foam for now. But I'll still need to get crossbars as I only have the ones running the length of the car (Suzuki XL-7). I'll check out Lordco.

RobertM said:
Yes, I know about the other stuff I need.

I did a quick comparison and all what I need is US$338.04 after Washington State tax. Rack Attack prices in Canada after tax for what I need are $479.36. Even if the US$ converts to about $400 I'm still saving $80 and am going down there anyway.

Is it worth it? What's the duty? Anyone know, or have done this?
Check around some of the other Canadian stores as Rack Attack is generally pretty expensive. I bought mine at Lordco for much cheaper than RA. Ecomarine also stocks Thule racks and cradles. If you feel you must purchase them in the United States of Bush then call ahead to make sure the dealer actually has them in stock. They are often an item that most dealers have to order in.

I'll also echo what Andy said - warranties are not transferable across the border. If you ever have an issue with the rack or the cradles you will have to go back to the US to deal with it. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and have the piece of mind that I have a valid warranty.

Steve_Fairbairn said:
If you feel you must purchase them in the United States of Bush then call ahead to make sure the dealer actually has them in stock.
Hey, how about not bashing a neighboring country because of an unenlightened choice its electorate made, eh? Those of us in the blue states (ones which favored the other candidate) are ready to secede ... and enough of us are contiguous with our northern neighbor we could make a pretty darn good-sized nation in the northern half of North America.

Off the soapboax, now!

(Says Dave, who made five week-long paddletrips to Vancouver Island this summer.)

Andreas likely understands more about compression damage than most of us and he has a good point. You probably don't need saddles unless you like to cinch down your boats really really tight.

The best place to have your crossbars is under your bulkheads. If your vehicle isn't long enough to accomplish this you might consider some type of upright which allows the boat to rest on edge on it's bilges instead of the bottom of the hull. the benefits are twofold in that you lesson the chance of compression damage and can ultimately fit more boats on your roof.

The second cheapest paddler in town

What about racks from the car dealer? I read on the Rack Attack site that Yakima and Thule fit most car factory racks? The Suzuki XL-7 racks are about half the price of Thule.

Comments / suggestions?

That's probably the route to go, Robert. You might want to check with the dealer or manufacturer to find out what the rating of their bars are -- I believe that most factory racks are rated for carrying up to 100 lbs but it may vary.

RobertM said:
I think these are up to 45kg, so that's about 100 pounds, which is more than what I need.

Here's a link, but you'll need to scroll down the list with the arrow to "Multi Roof Rack".

http://www.suzuki.ca/en/auto/accessorie ... N=97032295

Yes, this looks the way to go. All I need then is the Thule or Yakima saddles to go on that then.

Thanks Dan.

Will the Thule or Yakima saddles fit? I didn't see a kayak module.

I've done some research and see that Suzuki racks are from a European manufacturer called Mont Blanc and they have the same shape cross bars as Thule, according to the spec. The factory pack includes locks too.

From Suzuki, the feet, the cross bars and locks cost about $130 - $140 for a full set. The same (individually) from Rack Attack is about $310.

All I need on top of that are the saddles. Thule's about $135 and Yakima about $100.

Now I just hope thos racks come on back order quickly from Suzuki!

Thanks for everyone's input!

RobertM said:
On the Thule and Yakima websites they say they fit "most" factory bars. So I'm assuming yes.
I own an old set of Thule cradles and a couple sets of Thule J-racks. They both mount using a U bolt so they could be mounted on virtually any rack. However, while they will easily mount on a round bar, they are designed to optimaly sit on a rectangular or square bar. Thules bars are rectangular, Yakimas are round. I've had both and I prefer rectangular bars.

I got my crossbars for the XL-7 from Suzuki on Thursday and picked up the kayak saddles from RackAttack this morning. I went with the Yakima Mako saddles (2 sets).

Hello there. My wife and I need some sort of cradles for our seaward passat. We sometimes put it on our Honda Civic, but the cross bars go between the bulkheads and Im worried about the tightness that I can get, as well as not doing any damage to the hull. We have a Thule system, with the short adapter kit as well. Any idea of wich cradle system is best to secure and protect our boat?
Thanks 8)

Back