• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

WCP Fall Campout?

OK, let's add the weekend of Oct 11-12 as well (maybe we can match the snow we had at the spring paddle). Surely everyone can pick one of those that works best for them (or not).

Fall foliage in October :idea:

Put me down for October 11th and 12th Dan!

Other dates are also fine, but I can't imagine a better place to appreciate the coming fall then on the water.

daniel

September is pretty much full for me. Early november is getting pretty late though. October looks good except for the weekend of the 25th. That leaves Oct 4-5, 11-12 or 18-19 for me. I'd prefer early Oct. for the higher chances of good weather.

Oct 11-12 (-13) is Thanksgiving - I'm guessing most people will want to stay home and carve up some fowl carcass (I know I'd like to!).

Forgive my boldness, but let's say Oct 18-19 and have a list of people for and against.

Mark_Schilling said:
Forgive my boldness, but let's say Oct 18-19 and have a list of people for and against.

My Dad and I are both able to make this date. :D

well . . . forgiving might not be in the cards for you, Mr. Schilling, but in this case as thanksgiving actually will come first, i vote for it just to make thanks that a choice is finally made.

and it also gives a good opportunity for all to burn off a little turkey - or at least bring some leftovers for the rest of us to partake in!!

like, some of us could bring some instant mashed potatoes, some a few boxes of stuffing, some a few cranberries, etc etc etc, maybe a few cans of turkey meat - and we could have another whole feast by the seashore, heh heh!

and there just might be a few colourful leaves for elmo and all of us to look at!

OK. Then it's settled is it?

We're paddling on the weekend of October 18-19.

Don't forget to bring your snowshoes. :wink:

8)

mick_allen said:

well . . . forgiving might not be in the cards for you, Mr. Schilling, but in this case as thanksgiving actually will come first, i vote for it just to make thanks that a choice is finally made.

and it also gives a good opportunity for all to burn off a little turkey - or at least bring some leftovers for the rest of us to partake in!!

like, some of us could bring some instant mashed potatoes, some a few boxes of stuffing, some a few cranberries, etc etc etc, maybe a few cans of turkey meat - and we could have another whole feast by the seashore, heh heh!

and there just might be a few colourful leaves for elmo and all of us to look at!

Yuck :lol:

October 18th and 19th work for me! Count me as an in :mrgreen:

Regulations be damned, I'll be building a little campfire to roast marshmallows and warm my toes!

What's it like up Indian Arm in rough weather Dan? Any shortcut options if things get ugly?

daniel

andreas wrote this .... :
Yuck :lol: (in reference to bringing turkey)

my, my, my, . ..

but if you show up, turkey'd be there anyway!

So..., is Oct. 18th & 19th is the one?? Or is it stil up in the air?
I can't request off from work unless it is decided :cry: Because I can't keep changing the date of request off.

sushiy said:
So..., is Oct. 18th & 19th is the one?? Or is it stil up in the air?
I can't request off from work unless it is decided :cry: Because I can't keep changing the date of request off.
Yes, sushiy, I think we can positively say that October 18th and 19th are the dates.

elmo said:
October 18th and 19th work for me! Count me as an in :mrgreen:

Regulations be damned, I'll be building a little campfire to roast marshmallows and warm my toes!
We could get about 20 Neufeld stoves together.

What's it like up Indian Arm in rough weather Dan? Any shortcut options if things get ugly?
You're not in the Gulf Islands anymore, Toto.

First off, there are no currents of any consequence to be concerned about. Wind generally flows down the arm in the morning, and then picks up in the early afternoon and flows up the arm -- usually when you're on your way home. In the winter months, flow reverses. I've been up the arm many times throughout the year and the most I've ever encountered were two foot waves. I suspect that it can't get much worse as it's fairly sheltered. If paddling against a headwind, I generally stick close to shore, finding a reprieve here and there when land juts out. Compared to the conditions in the Gulf Islands, it's pretty tame -- not to say that you shouldn't be aware at all times, of course.

Oct. 18. Okay. Anyone who talks post-election politics gets tossed in the drink?

Back